Sports Briefs

Baseball

Junior catcher Yasmani Grandal participated in Team USA’s Championship win over Germany on July 26 in the 2009 Enbridge Northern Gateway Pipeline World Baseball Challenge. Grandal started and hit a home run to help USA win 8-1.

Past members of the University of Miami baseball team continue to succeed at the next level. Fourteen former Hurricanes are playing at the major or Triple A-level, including Milwaukee Brewers All-Star outfielder Ryan Braun.

Rowing

Andrew Carter, a former assistant coach at Clemson, has been named the new head coach of the team. Marc DeRose, formerly an assistant coach from UCF, has been named the assistant coach.

Seniors Rachel Sporko, Laura Cordner and sophomores Allyson Hodgkins, Sarah Medland, Monika Sajincic, and Emily Wingrove made the All-ACC Academic Team.

Women’s Tennis

Senior Laura Vallverdu and juniors Julia Cohen and Bianca Eichkorn were named to the All-ACC Women’s Academic Team.

Women’s Track and Field

Former Hurricane great Lauryn Williams finished fifth in the 100-meter dash in the 2009 World Track and Field Championships in Germany. She was a UM student-athlete from 2002-04.

–  Information Compiled from Hurricanesports.com

Ramon Galiana

News Editor

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...