Football

Brutal schedule a tough test for football team

BRITTNEY BOMNIN // Photo Editor

BRITTNEY BOMNIN // Photo Editor

No more cupcake games like Marshall and Charleston Southern to open the season.

The Canes will have no room for early error as they open their 2009 campaign facing four straight top 25 teams, arguably the toughest schedule amongst any of the 120 Division I college football programs.

The Hurricanes also have been picked to finish fourth in the ACC Coastal Division behind Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech and North Carolina respectively.

But none of that matters to the Miami players as they are set out to prove the nation wrong.

“I don’t really pay attention to that,” sophomore linebacker Sean Spence said. “People are going to predict what they want to predict, but when two teams get on the field, that’s when it’s settled to me.”

The Hurricanes do not mind having their opponents being the favorites against them.

“It’s all about motivation,” sophomore wide receiver LaRon Byrd said. “It always starts with the underdog. The underdog always wants to be on top. I feel that’s going to drive our players more and more. They’re disrespecting Miami, so after this season they better respect Miami.”

For the first time in three years, the Hurricanes will open the season on the road in Tallahassee against nemesis Florida State. Last year, the Seminoles defeated the Canes in soggy conditions, 41- 39, at the old Dolphin Stadium.

Miami then plays ACC foes Georgia Tech and Virginia Tech. Miami gave up an embarrassing 472 rushing yards against the Yellow Jackets last season while Virginia Tech is the two time reigning ACC Champion.

In their fourth game, the Canes will host Oklahoma, which returns to Land Shark Stadium after losing to Florida in the BCS National Championship game. Two years ago Oklahoma throttled Miami, 51-13 in Heisman winner Sam Bradford’s second collegiate game.

“They’re all going to be tough,” senior safety Randy Phillips said, who only played two games last year due to a left knee injury. “Those teams made noise last year. It’s a great opportunity for me to show what I got, and every defensive guy on our team is thinking like that.”

Now, Miami is lead by sophomore quarterback Jacory Harris and head coach Randy Shannon is in his third season.

“It’s time for us to win the ACC,” Harris said.

The Canes will welcome back three former starters. Phillips will return to safety, senior Eric Moncur will slide back into rotation at defensive end, and linebacker Colin McCarthy will be back in the heart of the defense. If all three stay healthy, each of them will see signifcant time on the field.

“Everyone is working hard and we’re just excited,” McCarthy said. “An ACC and a national championship, that’s what we play for. Anything less is frowned upon.”

Byrd echoed the same sentiments.

“We feel good about ourselves. This is definitely the year we have to make a point that says ‘Hey, Miami’s back.”

Lelan LeDoux may be contacted at lledoux@themiamihurricane.com.

Lelan LeDoux

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Brutal schedule a tough test for football team”

1. alan says:

In a double whammy for the UM football team, backup quarterbacks Taylor Cook and Cannon Smith are transferring, leaving the Hurricanes with only one backup to starter Jacory Harris.

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...