‘Adam’ short, sad, and sweet

Adam’s trailer does the film a great disservice. It simplifies the film to an almost unforgivable degree: “look at these two star-crossed lovers! Aren’t they precious?” That’s why, upon actually seeing Adam, it is such a delight to see that the film is not as insufferable as previews would make it seem. In fact, Adam is quite sweet – a look at the romance between two New Yorkers, one of whom has Asperger’s Syndrome.

The success of the movie is due in large part to its star, Hugh Dancy. While many actors play disabled characters with an Oscar in mind, no such motive is evident in his performance. His Adam – eccentric, towering, and tic-ridden – is a testament to his talent as an actor and proves that Dancy deserves to be known for more than trash like Evening and Confessions Of A Shopaholic.

His foil is Rose Byrne, whose Beth is both bewildered and intrigued by the prospect of dating Adam. Byrne is competent enough in the role, though her wide-eyed take becomes grating by the end. Peter Gallagher and Amy Irving portray Beth’s parents, and their subplot, though seemingly disjointed at first, injects Adam with alternate hits of pathos and humor.

Adam is short, sad, and engaging without being saccharine or a public service announcement about Asperger’s. It’s not as meaningful as it thinks it is, though it remains a surprisingly worthy film.

Rating: 2.5/4 stars
Starring: Hugh Dancy, Rose Byrne
Directed by: Max Mayer
MPAA Rating: PG-13

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...