‘Adam’ short, sad, and sweet

Adam’s trailer does the film a great disservice. It simplifies the film to an almost unforgivable degree: “look at these two star-crossed lovers! Aren’t they precious?” That’s why, upon actually seeing Adam, it is such a delight to see that the film is not as insufferable as previews would make it seem. In fact, Adam is quite sweet – a look at the romance between two New Yorkers, one of whom has Asperger’s Syndrome.

The success of the movie is due in large part to its star, Hugh Dancy. While many actors play disabled characters with an Oscar in mind, no such motive is evident in his performance. His Adam – eccentric, towering, and tic-ridden – is a testament to his talent as an actor and proves that Dancy deserves to be known for more than trash like Evening and Confessions Of A Shopaholic.

His foil is Rose Byrne, whose Beth is both bewildered and intrigued by the prospect of dating Adam. Byrne is competent enough in the role, though her wide-eyed take becomes grating by the end. Peter Gallagher and Amy Irving portray Beth’s parents, and their subplot, though seemingly disjointed at first, injects Adam with alternate hits of pathos and humor.

Adam is short, sad, and engaging without being saccharine or a public service announcement about Asperger’s. It’s not as meaningful as it thinks it is, though it remains a surprisingly worthy film.

Rating: 2.5/4 stars
Starring: Hugh Dancy, Rose Byrne
Directed by: Max Mayer
MPAA Rating: PG-13

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Once known as ‘Quarterback U,’ the Miami Hurricanes have a spotty record of producing top signal cal ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' football practice on Tues., Aug. 22, 2017 … Click to Con ...

Duke Johnson, the all-time leading rusher in Miami Hurricanes history, was one of a dozen members of ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...