‘Adam’ short, sad, and sweet

Adam’s trailer does the film a great disservice. It simplifies the film to an almost unforgivable degree: “look at these two star-crossed lovers! Aren’t they precious?” That’s why, upon actually seeing Adam, it is such a delight to see that the film is not as insufferable as previews would make it seem. In fact, Adam is quite sweet – a look at the romance between two New Yorkers, one of whom has Asperger’s Syndrome.

The success of the movie is due in large part to its star, Hugh Dancy. While many actors play disabled characters with an Oscar in mind, no such motive is evident in his performance. His Adam – eccentric, towering, and tic-ridden – is a testament to his talent as an actor and proves that Dancy deserves to be known for more than trash like Evening and Confessions Of A Shopaholic.

His foil is Rose Byrne, whose Beth is both bewildered and intrigued by the prospect of dating Adam. Byrne is competent enough in the role, though her wide-eyed take becomes grating by the end. Peter Gallagher and Amy Irving portray Beth’s parents, and their subplot, though seemingly disjointed at first, injects Adam with alternate hits of pathos and humor.

Adam is short, sad, and engaging without being saccharine or a public service announcement about Asperger’s. It’s not as meaningful as it thinks it is, though it remains a surprisingly worthy film.

Rating: 2.5/4 stars
Starring: Hugh Dancy, Rose Byrne
Directed by: Max Mayer
MPAA Rating: PG-13

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...

Three Miami women's tennis players are featured in this week's Oracle/ITA rankings, along ...

Riding a five-game road winning streak, the Miami women's basketball team will look to make it ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...