Transfer student wins indoor national championship for UM

ahoure.db

Heart of a champion: Murielle Ahoure finished her collegiate career as a five-time All-American. Danny Bull // First Impression Staff

Senior Murielle Ahoure attended Miami for just one year, but she left quite a mark in the program’s track and field record books.

During the indoor season, the Bristow, Va. native became the national champion in the 200-meters – the only national title claimed by a Hurricane this year.

“It was amazing. I worked really hard and I’m just glad that it paid off,” Ahoure said. “It was a great feeling.”

The transfer from George Mason earned four All-American honors and even nabbed two ACC Championships in the 100 and 200-meter dashes.

“I’m just happy that everything just worked out for the best,” she said. “To transfer, especially this late, is kind of risky and I just trusted myself, my training and my coaches, and just ran.”

Now, the South Region Track Performer of the Year plans to train at Cobb Stadium with head coach Amy Deem and former UM alumna and Olympian Lauryn Williams.

Sophomore Ti’erra Brown was the other Hurricane to post an All-American performance, the second of her career, with a runner-up finish in the 400-meter hurdles at the NCAA Outdoor Championships.

“This year was a little more difficult because I was going through a lot of things as far as injuries and just trying to stay focused,” she said.

Brown hopes to take over the school record for the 400-meter hurdles next season. She competed in the 2009 USA Outdoor Track and Field Championships back in June.

Heading into NCAAs, the women’s track and field team ranked No. 13. It tied UCLA for 16th in competition, the best result for the program since 2006 when the squad placed seventh.

“As long as we all stay injury-free we can have a great season,” Brown said.

On the men’s side, junior Cory Nelms took the ACC 60-meter indoor hurdle title and was the runner-up in the 110 and 400-meter hurdle finals in the outdoor season. Fellow junior Mikese Morse was the runner-up in both the long and triple jumps at the Indoor ACC Championships, and competed with Nelms at the NCAA Regional Championships.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...