The ‘Lowe’ down: vast collection inspires generations

LoweFootball.bb

SIT STILL: This life-size sculpture of a Miami Dolphin football player by Duane Hanson in 1981 is housed at the Lowe Art Museum. BRITTNEY BOMNIN // PHOTO EDITOR

Miami is a city rich with culture, but University of Miami students do not need to look any further than the Lowe Art Museum on campus for a variety of artistic and educational offerings.

Located at the main entrance on Stanford Drive, the Lowe Art Museum contains pieces from all over the world. According to its website, the strength of the museum’s 16,000-object collection lies in its Renaissance, Baroque, American, Ancient, Native American and Asian art.

Entrance into the Lowe is free to University of Miami students. Regular admission costs $10 for visitors and $5 for seniors and non-UM students.

“We have quite a few student tours. [It’s] not just UM students, also elementary, middle school and high school students,” Curatorial Assistant Gita Shonek said.

Students often utilize the on-campus museum, whether to supplement a class or just for extracurricular interest.

“The Lowe definitely changed my opinion on art museums,” junior Christina Crocco said. “I had to go for my English class and I was surprised to see that there were pieces I could relate to.”

Junior Casey Vest said the Mexican exhibit was not only enjoyable for the artistic pieces, but also for the opportunity to sample Mexican cuisine.

“The traveling exhibits they bring in are very impressive and bring a lot of vibrancy to the museum and to the campus,” Vest said.

While the Lowe is beneficial to members of the UM community, it also plays a role in the Miami area.

“The Lowe was the first museum in Miami-Dade County,” Membership Coordinator Yina Balarezo said. “It is very old, so it has very strong member support. It has a big name.”

During Miami Museum Month, patrons’ memberships at the Lowe allow them free access to any participating Miami museum. Lowe membership costs $30 for full-time students and educators at the University of Miami.

“This is a way to enrich yourself,” Shonek said. “It gives you something different to do.”

The Lowe’s new public hours are from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m Tuesday through Saturday and 12 to 4 p.m. on Sunday. The museum is closed on Mondays.

Shonek also cited Miami Museum Month as a wonderful networking opportunity.

“For students, networking is really important,” Shonek said. “It’s the only way to get your foot in the door, especially if you are doing something with art.”

Morgan Miller

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...