Season ends before Omaha against the rival Gators

bellamy.ss

Can’t Hit This: All-American closer and Stopper of the Year Finalist Kyle Bellamy saved an ACC-leading 16 games for the Hurricanes and finished with a 0.97 ERA in 30 appearances. He was drafted in the fifth round by the Chicago White Sox. Steven Stuts // First Impression Staff

It’s not how you start, but how you finish.

The University of Miami baseball team (38-22) began the season hot, reaching a ranking as high as No. 2 in the country, but struggled down the stretch and failed to reach the College World Series for only the fifth time under head coach Jim Morris.

“In the first half of the season we got a lot of breaks,” said Morris, who finished his 16th year at UM. “We got hits when we needed them. Whatever it meant to win games. In the second half we didn’t get those same hits. We didn’t come through in clutch situations.”

Despite an early exit, the Canes reached the postseason for a 37th consecutive season to extend their NCAA record.

“A lot of people asked us why we weren’t excited when we found out we made the tournament,” junior closer Kyle Bellamy said. “That’s something that’s a given here.”

Morris and players believed that a lack of team chemistry derailed them as they lost twice to No. 8 UF in the Gainesville, Fla. Regional.

There were 15 newcomers to the 2009 squad, and according to Morris, there was not a strong cohesive bond amongst teammates.

“We didn’t have as good of team chemistry as I would’ve liked, and it definitely affected our team throughout the year,” he said. “It emphasized to me that everybody’s got to be together, everybody’s got to be on the same page.”

With a drive towards a fifth national championship put to a halt, three blossoming stars from the team were drafted during the fifth round of the 2009 Major League Baseball Amateur Draft.

Junior first baseman Jason Hagerty was the first Cane selected as the 144th pick overall by the San Diego Padres. He was named team MVP because of his knack for hitting in the clutch. “Hags” knocked two walk-off home runs and belted three bombs in total at the regional as he was named to the All-Tournament team.

The 6’3”, 220-pounder led the club in RBI (60) and slugging percentage (.630), while finishing second in home runs (14).

Bellamy, taken by the Chicago White Sox, earned three first-team All-America honors as he compiled an ACC-leading 16 saves. He recorded 63 strikeouts in 46.1 innings of work and posted a 0.97 ERA.

Returning next season are two top-notch players. Left-hander Chris Hernandez and catcher Yasmani Grandal both earned second team All-ACC honors. Hernandez led the team in wins (7) as the Friday night starter. Grandal blasted a team-high 16 home runs.

“It’s always disappointing when you don’t get to Omaha,” Grandal said. “You have a whole year ahead of you to correct your mistakes and actually be a little bit better. It’s a young team.”

Justin Antweil

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...