Carico racks up awards, catalyzes the Orange and Green

If outside hitter Lane Carico can duplicate the success she had in her first year, the University of Miami volleyball team will be in excellent shape.

The Hurricanes enjoyed a 12-game turnaround from last season, and it was not a coincidence the program’s revival occurred once Carico stepped on the hard court.

Carico, a highly-touted high school prospect out of Manhattan Beach, Calif., is a budding star. She was an integral part of four consecutive high school volleyball championships and carried her high school success straight to the Division I level.

This past season the 5’11” outside hitter earned numerous postseason honors, including ACC Freshman of the Year and Second Team All-ACC.

Carico is also the ideal student-athlete. Majoring in business, her commitment in the classroom resulted in being named to the ACC-All Academic team.

“I don’t really care too much about the awards,” she said. “I just care about how the team does and winning is the most important thing.”

As one of just two Canes to play all 116 sets last year, Carico is so versatile she led the team in kills and service aces, and finished second in digs.

Miami’s chances of a trip to NCAAs lie heavily on her, and she credits a lot of her assets to her older sister and mentor Taylor.

Taylor, who will transfer to the University of Minnesota for her senior season, achieved great success two years ago when she was named second team All-American by the American Volleyball Coaches Association and earned Pacific-10 First Team All-Conference.

“My sister and I are really close,” UM’s rising young volleyball star said. “We call each other after every one of our games. We learn from each other and wish each other luck. [Taylor] inspires me to achieve high goals. My whole family is really competitive so we all aim high.”

Justin Antweil

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...