Where to study on campus and make the grades

The University of Miami offers a variety of indoor academic facilities for studying. However, Miami’s tropical climate makes studying on the campus’ grassy fields and outdoor recreational areas a popular activity among Hurricanes.

Cushioned swinging tables, vast tree-lined fields and the outdoor sitting area at Starbucks are just a few places where students go to study on campus.

“I like to study outside of the library or on the UC Patio,” senior Monica Castro said.

UM’s Otto G. Richter Library has nine floors and is equipped with individual workstations and computers, conference rooms and comfortable lounge areas. Floors four through nine are known as the “stacks” and have private cubicles for studying purposes.

“I usually study at Richter Library,” senior Alexandra Fernandez said. “I like the second floor or the study rooms. It is very quiet.”

Starbucks, located next to the library, provides indoor and outdoor seating areas. Nearby electronic outlets are available for laptop or other electronic use.

Surrounding Lake Osceola, which sits in the center of campus, are two outdoor lounge areas, ideal for both recreational and academic activities.

In each residential college there are study rooms as well as state-of-the-art computer labs. Most major academic buildings on campus also house labs that offer academic resources to study or complete homework.

Students like senior Stephanie Fravel enjoy studying at the Martin and Austin Weeks Music Library, located in the Frost School of Music.

“It is really quiet and there are always open computers,” she said. “And, it also overlooks the lake.”

Camila Martin

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...