Where to study on campus and make the grades

The University of Miami offers a variety of indoor academic facilities for studying. However, Miami’s tropical climate makes studying on the campus’ grassy fields and outdoor recreational areas a popular activity among Hurricanes.

Cushioned swinging tables, vast tree-lined fields and the outdoor sitting area at Starbucks are just a few places where students go to study on campus.

“I like to study outside of the library or on the UC Patio,” senior Monica Castro said.

UM’s Otto G. Richter Library has nine floors and is equipped with individual workstations and computers, conference rooms and comfortable lounge areas. Floors four through nine are known as the “stacks” and have private cubicles for studying purposes.

“I usually study at Richter Library,” senior Alexandra Fernandez said. “I like the second floor or the study rooms. It is very quiet.”

Starbucks, located next to the library, provides indoor and outdoor seating areas. Nearby electronic outlets are available for laptop or other electronic use.

Surrounding Lake Osceola, which sits in the center of campus, are two outdoor lounge areas, ideal for both recreational and academic activities.

In each residential college there are study rooms as well as state-of-the-art computer labs. Most major academic buildings on campus also house labs that offer academic resources to study or complete homework.

Students like senior Stephanie Fravel enjoy studying at the Martin and Austin Weeks Music Library, located in the Frost School of Music.

“It is really quiet and there are always open computers,” she said. “And, it also overlooks the lake.”

Camila Martin

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami women's track team kicked off the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships with a ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Hurricanes fell in their final road game of the season, 70-51, at Georgia Tech. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...