Where to study on campus and make the grades

The University of Miami offers a variety of indoor academic facilities for studying. However, Miami’s tropical climate makes studying on the campus’ grassy fields and outdoor recreational areas a popular activity among Hurricanes.

Cushioned swinging tables, vast tree-lined fields and the outdoor sitting area at Starbucks are just a few places where students go to study on campus.

“I like to study outside of the library or on the UC Patio,” senior Monica Castro said.

UM’s Otto G. Richter Library has nine floors and is equipped with individual workstations and computers, conference rooms and comfortable lounge areas. Floors four through nine are known as the “stacks” and have private cubicles for studying purposes.

“I usually study at Richter Library,” senior Alexandra Fernandez said. “I like the second floor or the study rooms. It is very quiet.”

Starbucks, located next to the library, provides indoor and outdoor seating areas. Nearby electronic outlets are available for laptop or other electronic use.

Surrounding Lake Osceola, which sits in the center of campus, are two outdoor lounge areas, ideal for both recreational and academic activities.

In each residential college there are study rooms as well as state-of-the-art computer labs. Most major academic buildings on campus also house labs that offer academic resources to study or complete homework.

Students like senior Stephanie Fravel enjoy studying at the Martin and Austin Weeks Music Library, located in the Frost School of Music.

“It is really quiet and there are always open computers,” she said. “And, it also overlooks the lake.”

Camila Martin

The Miami Hurricanes, still waiting for a starting quarterback to be named, are in the top 25 again. ...

Happy first day of school for everyone out there, including the University of Miami students. We jus ...