The 411 on the Club Sports Program at the university

equestruain

BACK IN THE SADDLE AGAIN: Cortie Wetherhill rides Charlie at the UM Equestrian Team Exhibition Clinic in September at Tally Ho Farms. Chelsea Matiash // First Impression Staff.

Drive, competition, determination, sweat and elation. A certain thrill comes with playing a sport at the University of Miami.

“You can dive right in and get involved through the club sports program which provides students the opportunity to meet others with the same interest, and develop leadership skills,” Chairperson of the Sports and Recreational Interest Club Federation Tommy Kiger said.

The Club Sports Program allows students at any skill level to get involved. With over 40 clubs ranging from rock climbing to SCUBA, club sports provide competitive, recreational and instructional opportunities.

Competitive sports consist of soccer and rugby, while the instructional sports are karate and sailing. Swimming and golf comprise recreational clubs. Some club sports even include a blend of two types of objectives, or all three.

“Some are highly organized while other clubs are laid back,” Associate Director Rhonda DuBord said.

Within each club sport is a set of officers who preside over the club, organize meetings, develop a budget, compete off campus, produce a website and communicate to members. Most clubs meet on campus.

SCUBA is the most popular club with over 140 members and provides trips and supplies members with equipment free of charge.

The Barton Goldberg Family Endowed Equestrian Team and Club is a member of the Intercollegiate Horse Show Association and participates in competitions. UM hosts an Intercollegiate Horse Show event at Tropical Park every February.

Visit http://www.miami.edu/wellness/club to learn more about the program.

There’s something for everyone!

Rhonda DuBord

Special to First Impression

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...