Office active in university

The University of Miami Dean of Students Office and Honor Council do a whole lot more than just investigate violation claims of the University Honor Code.

Led by Dean of Students Dr. Ricardo Hall, the Dean of Students Office is a place where students can go to find a variety of resources ranging from alcohol abuse prevention to religious services.

“I don’t think our students realize just how many programs we offer around the university,” Hall said. “Alcohol and Drug Education, Greek Life programming and oversight of the Chaplain’s Association of religious organizations are all programmed with the Dean of Students Office.”

Religious organizations on and around campus such as the Hillel Jewish Student Center, the Baptist Collegiate Ministry, St. Augustine’s Catholic Student Association and many more are programmed with the University Chaplain’s association, which is overseen by the office.

All 30 of the university’s fraternity and sorority groups also coordinate with it. However, the main programming involves alcohol and drug services.

Assistant Dean of Students and Director of the Center for Alcohol and Drug Education Nanette Vega is responsible for overseeing alcohol and drug programs around the university.

Pier 21, which stands for Prevention, Intervention, Education and Referral, is one of the programs the Dean of Students Office offers those seeking help from alcohol or drugs.

“If a student is concerned with himself or herself or a friend, they can refer to Pier 21 for help. All information presented is confidential and will not be used against the person,” Vega said. “It is my job to complete a one-hour assessment of the student and provide both on-campus and off-campus resources for help. We can also help students transition into inpatient and outpatient treatment centers.”

Alcoholics Anonymous is held on campus every Wednesday and is facilitated by the Counseling Center. Two peer education groups, Gamma Greeks and UParty, promote alcohol responsibility and are offered to all members of the student population.

However, both the Dean of Students and Honor Council would not be what it is without handling student disciplinary issues.

“If a student is involved in an incident and is a resident on campus, the residential coordinator of their dormitory is responsible for hearing that case,” Vega said. “But if a commuter student is involved in an incident, we will hear these cases.”

Vega also said “high-level” cases such as those involving assault, battery or the issuance of a DUI is heard by the office, which handles the case regardless of where the student lives.

The University of Miami Honor Council is composed of 29 members, 18 who graduated in the spring semester. Responsible for educating the student body on the University Honor Code with events including Academic Integrity Week, the council also investigates and arbitrates alleged violations.

“We’re just trying to get our name out there and hope to get good attendance,” said Rachel Russo, last year’s co-chair of Academic Integrity Week.

Found on the University of Miami’s website, the honor code was ratified in the spring of 1986 at the request of the Undergraduate Student Body Government. It starts by outlining its overall purpose to the undergraduate community, the responsibility of the undergraduate community, jurisdiction of the code and faculty cooperation.

“The Honor Council not only has a practical use at the university, it has a symbolic significance as well,” Hall said. “They are here to make sure the Honor Code not only exists, but that it lives.”

Mike Pindelski

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...