Office active in university

The University of Miami Dean of Students Office and Honor Council do a whole lot more than just investigate violation claims of the University Honor Code.

Led by Dean of Students Dr. Ricardo Hall, the Dean of Students Office is a place where students can go to find a variety of resources ranging from alcohol abuse prevention to religious services.

“I don’t think our students realize just how many programs we offer around the university,” Hall said. “Alcohol and Drug Education, Greek Life programming and oversight of the Chaplain’s Association of religious organizations are all programmed with the Dean of Students Office.”

Religious organizations on and around campus such as the Hillel Jewish Student Center, the Baptist Collegiate Ministry, St. Augustine’s Catholic Student Association and many more are programmed with the University Chaplain’s association, which is overseen by the office.

All 30 of the university’s fraternity and sorority groups also coordinate with it. However, the main programming involves alcohol and drug services.

Assistant Dean of Students and Director of the Center for Alcohol and Drug Education Nanette Vega is responsible for overseeing alcohol and drug programs around the university.

Pier 21, which stands for Prevention, Intervention, Education and Referral, is one of the programs the Dean of Students Office offers those seeking help from alcohol or drugs.

“If a student is concerned with himself or herself or a friend, they can refer to Pier 21 for help. All information presented is confidential and will not be used against the person,” Vega said. “It is my job to complete a one-hour assessment of the student and provide both on-campus and off-campus resources for help. We can also help students transition into inpatient and outpatient treatment centers.”

Alcoholics Anonymous is held on campus every Wednesday and is facilitated by the Counseling Center. Two peer education groups, Gamma Greeks and UParty, promote alcohol responsibility and are offered to all members of the student population.

However, both the Dean of Students and Honor Council would not be what it is without handling student disciplinary issues.

“If a student is involved in an incident and is a resident on campus, the residential coordinator of their dormitory is responsible for hearing that case,” Vega said. “But if a commuter student is involved in an incident, we will hear these cases.”

Vega also said “high-level” cases such as those involving assault, battery or the issuance of a DUI is heard by the office, which handles the case regardless of where the student lives.

The University of Miami Honor Council is composed of 29 members, 18 who graduated in the spring semester. Responsible for educating the student body on the University Honor Code with events including Academic Integrity Week, the council also investigates and arbitrates alleged violations.

“We’re just trying to get our name out there and hope to get good attendance,” said Rachel Russo, last year’s co-chair of Academic Integrity Week.

Found on the University of Miami’s website, the honor code was ratified in the spring of 1986 at the request of the Undergraduate Student Body Government. It starts by outlining its overall purpose to the undergraduate community, the responsibility of the undergraduate community, jurisdiction of the code and faculty cooperation.

“The Honor Council not only has a practical use at the university, it has a symbolic significance as well,” Hall said. “They are here to make sure the Honor Code not only exists, but that it lives.”

Mike Pindelski

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...