Herbert Wellness Center: not just another gym

The Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center is a state-of-the-art exercise athletic facility that is many UM students’ haven for health and stress relief during the strenuous academic year.

Since 1996, the center has served recreational and fitness needs. The center is conveniently located near the Hecht and Stanford Residential Colleges.

Just the Facts

Students must bring their ‘Cane Card to be admitted into the Wellness Center. Students planning to exercise in the fitness room should bring a towel, or plan to purchase towel service at the center’s Pro Shop

The center’s facilities include:

• A fitness room stocked with well-maintained cardio and weight equipment
  • A pool designed for laps and aerobics
  • A spa and two saunas
  • Racquetball courts, which can be reserved in advance
  • A large gymnasium that contains a jogging/walking track and three full basketball courts that can be converted to volleyball or badminton courts
  • A smaller gymnasium made for indoor soccer, floor hockey, basketball, volleyball or badminton
  • Two squash courts
  • An instructional kitchen designed for cooking classes and events
  • A studio cycling room
  • Two classrooms
  • A conference room
  • A juice bar that offers health food choices and smoothies
  • The William Butler Atrium lounge area
  • Locker rooms and showers
  • A fitness lab
  • Multi-purpose rooms for group exercise, martial arts and more
  • Outside facilities include:
  • Tennis courts
  • Michael Yaron Building, which stores intramural equipment
  • Illuminated playing fields for evening intramural sports
  • George Smathers Courtyard

Fitness classes

The Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center’s fitness class schedule includes Cardio Kickboxing, Strength Interval, Yoga, Studio Cycling, Guts N’ Butts and a variety of dance and stretch classes. Sign up at the Wellness Suite located on the second floor of the center.

CHAMP

(Canes Health Assessment and Motivation Program) is a peer-based fitness/wellness program that is free to UM students. Students receive a fitness assessment followed by peer-based counseling and follow-up assessments.

An instructional kitchen offers students the chance to learn from a local chef about how to prepare simple meals and make healthy food choices.

Discussions and forums pertaining to relevant topics such as binge drinking, smoking cessation, date rape and sexual responsibility serves to spread awareness that may lead to responsible choices.

The fitness lab is staffed and equipped to perform fitness tests, including body fat composition, blood pressure screening and VO max tests.

The Wellness Center also offers 30 intramural sports. With most of these activities you don’t have to be experienced at all to join, and you can decide whether you want to play competitively or recreationally.

Hours of operation

During the academic year, the Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center is open Monday through Thursday from 6 a.m. to midnight, Friday from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Access for the fall semester begins on the first day of orientation.

Rhonda DuBord

Special to First Impression

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...