‘Hug the Lake’ spreads an act of kindness on campus

hughthelake.jk

Jenna King // First Impression Staff

You’ve seen them around campus, the people carrying signs with inspirational phrases, giving you a huge smile and often a warm hug.

On the 39th annual Earth Day, students from all around the University of Miami celebrate the event by planting trees at a local middle school to circling Lake Osceola in support of UM’s most natural spot.

Random Acts of Kindness sponsored the third annual “Hug the Lake” to promote a greener world.

“The whole idea behind Hug the Lake is to appreciate our little campus and in turn the big world around us,” said Carol Perry, a past RAK president. “Coordinating it with Earth Day seemed like the perfect way to juxtapose the two and remind ourselves how lucky we are to live here.”

Jenna King

Contributing Columnist

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – No. 24 Miami raced out to an early lead but could not finish off a weekend swee ...

Freshman first baseman Alex Toral recorded his first home run as a Hurricane, and No. 24 Miami held ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming & diving team saved its best for last, finishing off the ACC Swimm ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...