‘Book’store more than that

Bookstore.bb

FROM AUSTEN TO SEBASTIAN: The two-story University of Miami Bookstore sells everything from classic literature to your favorite Hurricane merchandise and apparel, and even buys back old textbooks. BRITTNEY BOMNIN // PHOTO EDITOR

At UM, books are just one of the hundreds of products students, members of the university community and visitors can find.

Right in the heart of the University Center, the bookstore offers customers a vast array of Hurricane merchandise and apparel.

More importantly, the bookstore seems to keep up with society’s flow – updating clothes, electronics, magazines, books and other merchandise to fit with current popular trends and technology.

“The UM Bookstore staff stays in tune with the campus and community issues,’’ Director Wendy Smith said. “Behind the bookstore, there is an army of buyers, techies and other support people who provide this store with new and used textbooks in astonishing quantities.”

Now, it keeps up with the current technology trends more than ever, providing customers with a website, www.miami.edu/bookstore, which allows students to make all of their necessary purchases online instead of on location.

Students and visitors are granted easy access to hundreds of more products that are not available in the store. It also informs viewers about current offers and events.

“Ordering my books online has made my life so much easier,” senior Aileen Schefer said. “The website is just so much easier all around. You don’t have to spend forever searching for your textbooks in the store.”

At a typical visit to the library section, customers can get copies of popular gossip magazines, ink for their printer or jewelry for a special someone.

“The products offered in the store are endless – apart from the core textbooks needed for class – we offer professional reference titles, school and dorm supplies, general reading books, computer software, UM apparel and gifts,” Smith said.

Students also have the ability to use their ‘Cane Cards as a purchasing method when at the bookstore.

“They say Visa’s accepted everywhere, but at Miami, the weapon of choice comes in the form of the ultra-trendy personalized ‘Cane Card,” junior William Frohbose said. “It’s both chic and dependable.”

To avoid lines when buying textbooks, find out ahead of time which you need and buy them before classes start. A year-round buyback program allows students to return many of their textbooks to the bookstore for money back.

The bookstore is open 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. on weekdays and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturdays.

Michelle Powers

Welcome to Bulletin Board Material, the Miami Herald’s weekday roundup covering everything in the So ...

RJ McIntosh grew up loving the University of Miami. So did Mark Walton. After all, both are from Sou ...

They have made their lists and checked them (at least) twice. And now, the final NFL draft boards fr ...

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

University of Miami graduates will hear from a group of extraordinary leaders during this year’s com ...

Cross-curricular performances by Frost School of Music students and faculty increase community aware ...

High-tech space helmet technology, a lifelike infant simulator and 3D printing are featured at the U ...

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and NOAA have worked together for more than ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

After a double-bye, the fourth-seeded and No. 15-ranked Miami women's tennis team begins ACC Ch ...

The Hurricanes will compete in the 54-hole Austin Regional at the University of Texas Golf Club from ...

The Hurricanes are headed to Fayetteville, Ark., to compete at the inaugural National Relay Champion ...

For the final time in his storied career, Miami head coach Jim Morris and his Hurricanes will make t ...

The Hurricanes fell behind in the middle innings and could not recover Wednesday, dropping a midweek ...