Study abroad programs at Miami cover six continents

IMG_4491.1

IT’S A SMALL WORLD: Junior Ellen Oshinsky stands in front of Hoan Kiem Lake in Hanoi, Vietnam while studying abroad over the summer. Courtesy Ellen Oshinsky.

Taking advantage of the study abroad programs offered by the University of Miami is an opportunity that many should snatch up.

Lorena Inclan, a recent graduate at UM, went to Spain two years ago and said she still keeps in touch with her friends from overseas.

“I don’t think anyone should graduate college without studying abroad,” she said. “I learned so much about myself and the world while I was in Spain.”

The hardest part might be choosing where to go.

Choices range from Australia, China, England and South Korea to Argentina, France, Mexico and Switzerland. New programs such as UPrague and UGalilee are actually taught by UM professors.

Options are endless.

Most programs are taught in English, but enrolling in a program taught in a foreign language is also possible. One can choose to study for a semester or a year at one of the 80 partner institutions in 33 countries around the world.

“I want to go anywhere that can enhance my knowledge when it comes to culture and languages,” sophomore Stephanie Ruiz said. “My friends say Argentina is a really great place to go because it’s like a Spanish cake with European icing.”

One can also choose classes coordinated by a specific major or a faculty member who is leading the course. According to Elyse Resnick, assistant director of international education and exchange programs, in the end it all comes down to the academics.

“You have to hit the ground running and be up for the challenge,” she said.

If finances are an issue, most forms of UM financial aid are available. Scholarships and financial aid provided by the university, which are received when normally enrolled at the university, are accepted just the same.

Diana Escobar

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

The Hurricanes' rotation saved its best for last. ...

Sean Grossman broke the 30-minute mark to set a school record in the men's 10,000m at the Virgi ...

Edgerrin James, Reggie Wayne, Kellen Winslow II, Jon Beason and Lamar Thomas were among the football ...

Miami came up short in Game 1 of a doubleheader Saturday afternoon, falling to visiting Pitt, 3-0, a ...

Canes shoot 2-under on back nine; Weber third overall at 2-under 70. ...