Snorkeling trip established tradition at RSMAS

RSMAS2

BEYOND THE SEA: RSMAS students begin to do field work on live-aboard ships, small boats, helicopters and from the shore during freshman year. File Photo.

Students get to snorkel in marine environments and observe the behaviors of dolphins at University of Miami’s Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science.

A snorkeling field trip is an established tradition for first-year students in the program as a way to be introduced to the local marine environment at Biscayne National Park.

“The snorkeling trip was such a great experience,” junior Kathyrn Sellers said. “It was definitely one of the coolest things to get whisked away during my first week in Miami and go out snorkeling with all of my future professors.”

Tauna Rankin, a graduate student at RSMAS, said students can do field work on live-aboard ships and even by plane.

RSMAS is one the largest oceanographic institutes in the country and students are taught by top scientists and have the opportunity to conduct real hands-on research at laboratories located on campus.

The College of Arts and Sciences and RSMAS joined together to create an undergraduate Marine and Atmospheric Science program in 1977. In 2008, RSMAS received the degree-granting authority over the program.

Barbra Gonzalez, communications director at RSMAS, said there are many opportunities for highly motivated undergraduate students.

“They become partners in a true scientific enterprise and gain invaluable experience that can help to jumpstart their career,” Gonzalez said.

Faculty members spend a considerable amount of time conducting research.

“They are at the forefront of their field, and sharing that cutting-edge knowledge in the classroom,” Gonzalez said.

On June 1, Roni Avissar took over as the new dean of RSMAS for Otis Brown.

“We think when students graduate from UM, they can really make a difference with how humanity relates to the earth,” he said.

Lonnie Nemiroff

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...