School of Music boasts internationally known faculty

Gusman.bb

BLOWIN’ IN THE WIND: The Frost Wind Ensemble performs a concert at the Gusman Concert Hall during the spring semester for the Frost School of Music. COURTESY FROST SCHOOL OF MUSIC

“It’s not a cliché; we really are like a family,” Dean Shelton Berg of the Frost School of Music said.

The University of Miami Frost School of Music was founded in 1926. For over 80 years, it has been a place full of people passionate about one common thing: music.

“It’s a hard school to be in, but your passion will make it easier,” said Ashley Armstrong, a sophomore majoring in musical theater.

Like many, when she first got to UM, Armstrong knew she loved music but didn’t know if that would be enough. She was unsure about whether she could improve her skills.

“I was kind of intimidated just because during orientation they make you take a bunch of theory tests and hearing tests; it’s to put you at your level,” Armstrong said. “I’ve already improved so much so that by graduation I’ll have these things down.”

She also attributes her quick success and improvements to her professors who have been more than helpful.

“All the teachers I’ve had I’ve really enjoyed working with,” Armstrong said. “They are really talented and know their stuff. They’re really helpful.”

Of course, with a faculty comprised of former members of the Florida Philharmonic Orchestra, the Miami Sound Machine and the World Symphony Orchestra, it doesn’t come as a surprise.

And the Frost School of Music not only has notable professors, but top-notch programs that are available to students.

These programs include the Stamps Family Distinguished Visitor Series, which helps bring well-known musicians to UM, Festival of Miami, an annual music festival, and a program that brings the Cleveland Orchestra to play with students.

The school of music is also a huge part of Category 5, a publishing company, and ‘Cane Records, the university’s own record label.

Cristy Verdeja

Contributing EDGE Writer

Michael Rumph, former Cane cornerback and current cornerbacks coach, has mentioned, along with every ...

N’Kosi Perry, definitely on the quiet side, met the media for the first time on Monday. He’s the Mia ...

On a day in which University of Miami football coach Mark Richt said veteran quarterbacks Malik Rosi ...

Week three of fall camp began today, and the first practice after Saturday’s first scrimmage of camp ...

Researchers use a powerful technique known as Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar to show an in ...

UM’s First Star Academy supports foster care youth. ...