Law school hires new dean, changes to begin come fall

The University of Miami School of Law will be implementing a number of changes for the 2009-2010 school year.

These changes will be made under newly appointed Dean Patricia White who joined the school this summer.

In addition to the new dean, UM’s law school will hire 12 new faculty members over the next few years.

A new state-of-the art facility will be built on the campus, and a multitude of new programs and initiatives will be added to the roster.

A new Immigration Clinic where students will be able to gain experience working in immigration law. Rebecca Sharpless, who received a Juris Doctor degree from Harvard Law School and has served as a supervising attorney at the Florida Immigrant Advocacy Center, will direct the program.

“South Florida has one of the largest immigrant populations in the country and Miami is one of the poorest cities in the country,” former Academic Associate Dean Donna Coker said. “The new immigration clinic expands our ability to assist those in desperate need of legal representation while also providing wonderful training for our students.”

There will be a new Business and Financial Law Certificate Program that will further educate students who are interested in business law and will be taught by well-respected practitioners from the Miami community. Students who complete the program will gain special recognition on their transcripts and diplomas.

The law school has also implemented a new program of Transactional Externships where students may receive three hours of credit, something most schools do not offer. Students will work 12-15 hours a week in a private practice under the supervision of a practicing attorney.

“Joining our very successful litigation externship program, the transactional program places students in the law offices of major corporations, including MTV-Latin America, Odebrecht Construction and HEICO, as well as major law firms,” Coker said. “Students are exposed to various transactional undertakings, including mergers and acquisitions, subcontracting, licensing and reorganizations. The transactional externships prepares our students to ‘hit the ground running’ in transaction work.”

Another exciting venture for law students, the school will be offering a short-term exchange program with the University of Zurich in Switzerland. The program will focus on international law, business law and comparative business. It will give students the opportunity to learn about the field in a foreign country.

Finally, a new study-abroad program titled “Total China” will also be available in the summer of 2010 as will other opportunities in Greece, Italy, central Europe and yet-to-be-released locations.

Contacts: School of Law

School of Law: Dean Patricia White 305-284-2394

Director of Publications: Michelle Valencia 305-284-2784

Assoc. Dean for Admin: Raquel Matas 305-284-3418

Megan Terilli

Online Editor

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...