Possible Cox Addition with Stimulus Funds

The University of Miami has drawn a proposal to expand the Cox Science Building that would take advantage of the funds available in President Barack Obama’s stimulus package.

This application is due Monday and the rewarding of funds will not be determined until six to eight months later. If the funds are approved then the building will begin immediately.

“When you accept stimulus funds they keep you to the deadline,” Kathryn Tosney, the biology chair said.

The project calls for $18 million from the stimulus package and an additional $5 million from the provost office. The new building will be located behind the Cox Building which is currently occupied by a small lake.

This building will be different than the Cox building. It will not have people’s names on the labs but instead will be labeled for the type of research being done in them. Therefore, multiple people will be able to do their research in the same lab.

These plans were designed to make this building a center for interdisciplinary work in the sciences.

The plan also calls for cutting edge equipment such as a florescent lifetime imagining microscope. This tool can be used to image brain activity.

June 12, 2009

Ed S. Fishman

News Editor

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...