Tennis

Vallverdu falls in NCAA Singles Final

Duke freshman Mallory Cecil took down junior Laura Vallverdu 7-5, 6-4 on Monday afternoon for the NCAA Women’s Singles Championship in College Station, Texas.

Cecil beat Vallverdu’s teammate and Miami’s top-ranked player, Julia Cohen, 6-1, 6-0 yesterday to reach the final.

It is the 14th time in NCAA history and first in ACC history that a women’s tennis player won both a team national title and individual crown in the same season, and the first to do so since 2004.

On May 17, the third-ranked Blue Devils beat sixth-ranked Miami 4-1 in a rematch of the Atlantic Coast Conference Championship game at the Women’s Quarterfinals. Two days later Duke captured its first national championship by beating eighth-ranked California (4-0).

May 25, 2009

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...