Tennis

Canes drop Bruins 4-2, advance to quarterfinals rematch

No. 6 Miami earned singles wins on courts two through five to advance to the NCAA Quarterfinals with a 4-2 victory over defending champion and No. 11 UCLA Friday afternoon at the George P. Mitchell Tennis Center in College Station, Texas.

The Hurricanes (26-4) fell behind early after losing the doubles point to the Bruins (19-7), but rallied with straight-set victories from junior Laura Vallverdu, sophomores Bianca Eichkorn and Michaela Kissell and freshman Gabriela Mejia.

“I thought the girls got off to a fairly good start even though doubles didn’t go our way,” head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews said. “I was happy with their energy. They stayed calm, and we knew coming into today’s match that we needed to stay calm and be successful.”

Eichkorn clinched UM’s 15th win in its last 16 matches.

“I try not to pay too much attention to the score,” said Eichkorn, who passed Megan Bradley’s junior season record for third place all-time at UM for wins in a single season. “The first time that I really noticed that it might come down to me was when (Gabriela Mejia) finished her singles match, and we had three
points.”

Miami will face No. 3 Duke at 1 p.m. Sunday in a rematch of the ACC Championship game when the Blue Devils (26-3) clinched the title with sophomore Reka Zsilinszka’s win over Eichkorn, 2-6, 6-4, 7-6 (5), in the third position. The Canes had beaten Duke 5-2 back on March 22.

Singles
1. #15 Yasmin Schnack (UCLA) def. #3 Julia Cohen (UM) 6-1, 6-4
2. #24 Laura Vallverdu (UM) def. #57 Andrea Remynse (UCLA) 6-1, 6-1
3. #31 Bianca Eichkorn (UM) def. #114 Maya Johansson (UCLA) 7-5, 6-3
4. #49 Michaela Kissell (UM) def. Nina Pantic (UCLA) 6-2, 6-4
5. Gabriela Mejia (UM) def. Ashley Joelson (UCLA) 6-1, 6-4
6. Claudia Wasilewski (UM) vs. Carling Seguso (UCLA) 3-6, 6-3, 3-3 DNF

Doubles
1. #3 Remynse/Schnack (UCLA) def. #19 Kissell/Vallverdu (UM) 8-4
2. #51 Cohen/Eichkorn (UM) def. #66 Seguso/Stephanie Wetmore (UCLA) 8-3
3. Joelson/Pantic (UCLA) def. Mejia/Wasilewski (UM) 8-3

Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (2,4,5,1,3)

May 15, 2009

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

The Hurricanes' rotation saved its best for last. ...

Sean Grossman broke the 30-minute mark to set a school record in the men's 10,000m at the Virgi ...

Edgerrin James, Reggie Wayne, Kellen Winslow II, Jon Beason and Lamar Thomas were among the football ...

Miami came up short in Game 1 of a doubleheader Saturday afternoon, falling to visiting Pitt, 3-0, a ...

Canes shoot 2-under on back nine; Weber third overall at 2-under 70. ...