Tennis

Canes drop Bruins 4-2, advance to quarterfinals rematch

No. 6 Miami earned singles wins on courts two through five to advance to the NCAA Quarterfinals with a 4-2 victory over defending champion and No. 11 UCLA Friday afternoon at the George P. Mitchell Tennis Center in College Station, Texas.

The Hurricanes (26-4) fell behind early after losing the doubles point to the Bruins (19-7), but rallied with straight-set victories from junior Laura Vallverdu, sophomores Bianca Eichkorn and Michaela Kissell and freshman Gabriela Mejia.

“I thought the girls got off to a fairly good start even though doubles didn’t go our way,” head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews said. “I was happy with their energy. They stayed calm, and we knew coming into today’s match that we needed to stay calm and be successful.”

Eichkorn clinched UM’s 15th win in its last 16 matches.

“I try not to pay too much attention to the score,” said Eichkorn, who passed Megan Bradley’s junior season record for third place all-time at UM for wins in a single season. “The first time that I really noticed that it might come down to me was when (Gabriela Mejia) finished her singles match, and we had three
points.”

Miami will face No. 3 Duke at 1 p.m. Sunday in a rematch of the ACC Championship game when the Blue Devils (26-3) clinched the title with sophomore Reka Zsilinszka’s win over Eichkorn, 2-6, 6-4, 7-6 (5), in the third position. The Canes had beaten Duke 5-2 back on March 22.

Singles
1. #15 Yasmin Schnack (UCLA) def. #3 Julia Cohen (UM) 6-1, 6-4
2. #24 Laura Vallverdu (UM) def. #57 Andrea Remynse (UCLA) 6-1, 6-1
3. #31 Bianca Eichkorn (UM) def. #114 Maya Johansson (UCLA) 7-5, 6-3
4. #49 Michaela Kissell (UM) def. Nina Pantic (UCLA) 6-2, 6-4
5. Gabriela Mejia (UM) def. Ashley Joelson (UCLA) 6-1, 6-4
6. Claudia Wasilewski (UM) vs. Carling Seguso (UCLA) 3-6, 6-3, 3-3 DNF

Doubles
1. #3 Remynse/Schnack (UCLA) def. #19 Kissell/Vallverdu (UM) 8-4
2. #51 Cohen/Eichkorn (UM) def. #66 Seguso/Stephanie Wetmore (UCLA) 8-3
3. Joelson/Pantic (UCLA) def. Mejia/Wasilewski (UM) 8-3

Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (2,4,5,1,3)

May 15, 2009

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

Following a promising performance during the fall portion of the 2017-18 campaign, the University of ...

The University of Miami track and field program travels to Texas this week to compete at the Texas T ...

The Miami women's tennis team will begin its 2018 spring season this weekend on its home court. ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...