Tennis

UCLA outmatches Canes 4-1, season over for men’s tennis

No. 7 UCLA (20-4) took the doubles point and three singles matches to end No. 22 Miami’s season Thursday night in the Round of 16 match at Texas A&M’s George P. Mitchell Tennis Center in College Station, Texas.

The Hurricanes (16-9) had won 10 of their last 12 matches.

“In order to beat a team like UCLA you have to play six extraordinary singles matches and great doubles,” head coach Mario Rincon said. “They took it to us in doubles. I think we were a bit nervous early on and UCLA has the experience of being here before. You need that to get used to this type of pressure and atmosphere. Regardless, I’m so proud of this team and what they’ve accomplished this season.”

Four-time All-American Daniel Vallverdu will play in the NCAA Men’s Tennis Singles Championships from May 20-25 at Texas A&M for the third straight year. Last season he advanced to the Round of 32, and the Round of 16 as a sophomore.

“Our seniors – David and Dani – have been great for this Miami program,” Rincon said. “They have been fantastic in helping to lead this program to where it is today. They have been leaders, and it has been a pleasure to coach every day they’ve been with us.”

Singles
1. Matt Brooklyn (UCLA) vs. Daniel Vallverdu (UM) 6-3, 5-2 DNF
2. Haythem Abid def. David Rosenfeld (UM) 6-2, 6-0
3. Harel Srugo (UCLA) def. Carl Sundberg (UM) 6-2, 6-3
4. Holden Seguso def. Keith Crowley (UM) 6-1, 7-6 (9-7)
5. Christian Blocker (UM) def. Michael Look (UCLA) 6-2, 6-4
6. Nick Meister (UCLA) vs. Ignacio Taboada (UM) 7-5, 1-6, 1-0
Order of finish: 2, 5, 3, 4

Doubles
1. Look/—- (UCLA) vs. #38 Daniel Vallverdu/David Rosenfeld (UM) 4-5, DNF
2. Amit Inbar/—- (UCLA) def. David Simon/Christian Blocker (UM) 8-4
3. —-/—- (UCLA) def. Sundberg/Crowley (UM) 8-3
Order of finish: 3, 2

*This story will be updated when more information is available

May 14, 2009

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

The University of Miami had four student-athletes selected to the watch lists for the Maxwell Award ...

The University of Miami's Symone Mason closed out the 2018 IAAF World U20 Championships with a ...