Tennis

Canes sweep FIU 4-0, head to Round of 16

For the second consecutive day, No. 6 Miami swept its regional opponent 4-0.

The victim this time around was local rival and No. 29 Florida International (19-6) Saturday afternoon at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

It didn’t seem like it would be a cake walk for the Hurricanes (25-4) during doubles competition, however, when their second and third pairings trailed 5-4. Fortunately, freshman Gabriela Mejia and junior Claudia Wasilewski rallied back with an 8-6 clinching point in the third spot.

“I wasn’t too happy with the way the girls came out in doubles,” head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews said. “They were playing not to lose rather than to win. We weren’t moving, we weren’t feisty. I think maybe the moment got to a few girls and that’s to be expected.”

In singles third-ranked Julia Cohen cruised in the first set and held on in the second for another straight set victory in the first position. No. 31 Bianca Eichkorn and Mejia provided the other two singles victories for the Canes.

“If we won this we’d head to NCAA’s Sweet 16 so there was a little bit of pressure,” Cohen said. “We all thought they [FIU] were going to play a little bit better because last time we played them it was 6-1 so we were prepared.”

Miami will head to College Station, Texas to face the winner of the Los Angeles, Ca. regional on Friday morning in the Round of 16. If the Hurricanes advance to the quarterfinals, there could be a rematch with No. 3 Duke, which beat UM 4-3 in the ACC Championship last month.

“We definitely have them on our radar, but we’re going to have to play good tennis,” Yaroshuk-Tews. “Whenever you play a PAC-10 team, you’re going to have to be ready to play.”

Singles
1. #3 Julia Cohen (UM) def. #79 Liset Brito (FIU) 6-0, 6-4
2. #24 Laura Vallverdu (UM) vs. #98 Mariana Muci (FIU) 6-3, 0-3, unfinished
3. #31 Bianca Eichkorn (UM) def. Maria Spenceley (FIU) 6-1, 6-2
4. #49 Michaela Kissell (UM) vs. Maria Dolores Pazo (FIU) 6-3, 4-5, unfinished
5. Gabriela Mejia (UM) def. Priscilla Castillo (FIU) 7-5, 6-0
6. Claudia Wasilewski (UM) vs. Maria Vallasciani (FIU) 6-3, 3-3, unfinished

Doubles
1. #19 Kissell/Vallverdu (UMW) def. Muci/Pazo (FIU) 8-3
2. #51 Cohen/Eichkorn (UMW) vs. Liset Brito/Maria Vallasciani (FIU) 6-7, unfinished
3. Mejia/Wasilewski (UMW) def. Castillo/Spenceley (FIU) 8-6

Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (1,3,5)

May 9, 2009

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Dewan Huell will be wearing green and orange for at least another year. Huell announced Saturday on ...

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

The Canes wrapped up a stormy weekend at the NCAA East Preliminary with their final two qualifiers f ...

Miami native pulls name out of NBA Draft process. ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...