Tennis

Women’s tennis advances to second round with 4-0 sweep

With temperatures in the high 80’s, sixth-ranked Miami disposed of Army (24-9) 4-0 in an hour and 43 minutes to advance to the second round of the Coral Gables, Fla. NCAA regional against No. 29 Florida International.

“I could tell from the beginning in doubles that they wanted to make the match longer and we were kind of doing it quicker so that they got more tired, and I’m sure because it was really hot today,” junior Laura Vallverdu said. “They were taking their time between points.”

After winning all three doubles matches, the Hurricanes (24-4) earned perfect 6-0, 6-0 singles victories from third-ranked Julia Cohen and 24th-ranked Vallverdu to take a 3-0 lead. Junior Claudia Wasilewski clinched the match with a 6-1, 6-0 finish over Robie Verano in the sixth position.

“We knew it wasn’t going to be one of the hardest matches coming into the tournament, but we come out here and we try to play them as if we were playing top five, top 10 in the nation,” Vallverdu said. “We got the job done, we came out, did what we had to do and stayed efficient.”

Miami will play FIU (19-5) tomorrow at 2 p.m at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center. Tickets are $5. The winner heads to the Round of 16. Earlier in the day, the Golden Panthers came back from an early 1-0 deficit to defeat No. 42 Princeton 4-3 in a match that fell two minutes short of four hours.

On January 28 the host Canes beat Florida International 6-1. At the time, UM was ranked No. 13 and FIU ranked No. 53.

“We know them pretty well. We play them every year at the beginning of the season,” Vallverdu said. “It’s always a different match when you play them at the end of the season because we’re both different teams and we’re all playing better. They’re used to heat too so we’re expecting them to be at their highest potential.”

Singles
1. #3 Julia Cohen (UM) def. Anne Houghton (Army) 6-0, 6-0
2. #24 Laura Vallverdu (UM) def. Niki Flach (Army) 6-0, 6-0
3. #31 Bianca Eichkorn (UM) vs. Sarah Giles-Madden 6-1, 5-0, unfinished
4. #49 Michaela Kissell (UM) vs. Kristin Beehler (Army) 6-1, 3-2, unfinished
5. Gabriela Mejia vs. Michael Tollerton (Army) 6-0, 3-0, unfinished
6. Claudia Wasilewski (UM) def. Robie Verano (Army) 6-1, 6-0

Doubles
1. #19 Kissell/Vallverdu (UM) def. Flach/Tollerton (Army) 8-1
2. #51 Cohen/Eichkorn (UM) def. Houghton/Beehler (Army) 7-2
3. Mejia/Wasilewski (UM) def. Giles-Madden/Verano (Army) 8-1

May 8, 2009

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

Remember that “hit list’’ the University of Miami football team had last year? Florida State, North ...

One is a former NBA first-rounder who played 13 seasons after starring for the Miami Hurricanes in t ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Participants of the ninth annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event on campus pledge to help end sexual ...

A Faculty Staff Assistance Program dance therapy class gets employees on their feet and focused on w ...

A University of Miami political scientist explores what a transition of power in Cuba means for its ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team notched its 10th ACC win of the season with a 5-2 road tri ...

Due to inclement weather expected in the region Sunday, the University of Miami baseball program ann ...

The University of Miami baseball team will host visiting Pittsburgh for a three-game series beginnin ...

Johnson, Mack and McGusty join Hurricanes' program for 2018-19 season. ...

Kasey Crider was named Miami volleyball's associate head coach after three seasons on head coac ...