Tennis

Men’s tennis advances to second round of NCAA Tournament

Freshman Ignacio Taboada won his eighth straight singles match and also clinched a 4-0 victory for No. 22 Miami over No. 53 Columbia on Friday afternoon in the first round of the Gainesville, Fla. NCAA regional.

He tied sophomore Keith Crowley, who also won his eighth consecutive match, for 23 wins on the season. In the process, Taboada became just the ninth Hurricane to earn 23 wins or more in his first season at UM.

The Hurricanes (15-8) will take on the winner of the match between No. 10 Florida and Marist.

“Our guys took advantage of early opportunities and were able to capitalize on them,” head coach Mario Rincon said. “With the temperature in the 90’s, I didn’t want them to be out there too long. We are looking forward to a great match tomorrow.”

Singles
1. Daniel Vallverdu (UM) vs. Jonathan Wong (COL), 6-3, 3-3, unfinished
2. David Rosenfeld (UM) def. Bogdan Borta (COL), 6-4, retired
3. Carl Sundberg (UM) vs. Mihai Nichifor (COL), 2-6, 4-5, unfinished
4. Keith Crowley (UM) def. Ekin Sezgen (COL), 6-3, 6-1
5. Christian Blocker (UM) vs. Haig Schneiderman (COL), 6-4, 5-2, unfinished
6. Ignacio Taboada (UM) def. Rajeev Deb-Sen (COL), 6-1, 6-4
Order of finish: 2, 4, 6

Doubles
1. #38 Vallverdu/Rosenfeld (UM) def. Bogdan Borta/Mihai Nichifor (COL) 8-3
2. Wong/Schneiderman (COL) def. David Simon/Blocker (UM) 8-1
3. Sundberg/Crowley (UM) def. Dan Urban/Rajeev Deb-Sen (COL) 8-4
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3

May 8, 2009

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...

After rallying to force a split, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miamis women's tennis team was u ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will wrap up the memorable 2018 season as No. 42 in t ...