Tennis

Men’s tennis advances to second round of NCAA Tournament

Freshman Ignacio Taboada won his eighth straight singles match and also clinched a 4-0 victory for No. 22 Miami over No. 53 Columbia on Friday afternoon in the first round of the Gainesville, Fla. NCAA regional.

He tied sophomore Keith Crowley, who also won his eighth consecutive match, for 23 wins on the season. In the process, Taboada became just the ninth Hurricane to earn 23 wins or more in his first season at UM.

The Hurricanes (15-8) will take on the winner of the match between No. 10 Florida and Marist.

“Our guys took advantage of early opportunities and were able to capitalize on them,” head coach Mario Rincon said. “With the temperature in the 90’s, I didn’t want them to be out there too long. We are looking forward to a great match tomorrow.”

Singles
1. Daniel Vallverdu (UM) vs. Jonathan Wong (COL), 6-3, 3-3, unfinished
2. David Rosenfeld (UM) def. Bogdan Borta (COL), 6-4, retired
3. Carl Sundberg (UM) vs. Mihai Nichifor (COL), 2-6, 4-5, unfinished
4. Keith Crowley (UM) def. Ekin Sezgen (COL), 6-3, 6-1
5. Christian Blocker (UM) vs. Haig Schneiderman (COL), 6-4, 5-2, unfinished
6. Ignacio Taboada (UM) def. Rajeev Deb-Sen (COL), 6-1, 6-4
Order of finish: 2, 4, 6

Doubles
1. #38 Vallverdu/Rosenfeld (UM) def. Bogdan Borta/Mihai Nichifor (COL) 8-3
2. Wong/Schneiderman (COL) def. David Simon/Blocker (UM) 8-1
3. Sundberg/Crowley (UM) def. Dan Urban/Rajeev Deb-Sen (COL) 8-4
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3

May 8, 2009

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...

Three Miami women's tennis players are featured in this week's Oracle/ITA rankings, along ...

Riding a five-game road winning streak, the Miami women's basketball team will look to make it ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...