UM takes precautions against H1N1 ‘Swine’ Flu during Commencement

At a time when many visitors are coming to the University of Miami’s campus for graduation, UM is taking certain precautions to stop the spread of H1N1.

An H1N1 crisis team has been established to monitor the outbreak and consider precautions to prevent the virus. The team maintains regular contact with the local Departments of Public Health.

“Our team has met multiple times in the past week and we have been in contact with the campus police and the entire staff,” Pat Whitely, the vice president for Student Affairs, said. “We just want to educate the students about the virus. We are taking very proactive measures to ensure the safety of our campus.”

The Student Health Service will remain open seven days a week until Commencement on May 17and will extend its hours if needed.

Individuals should contact the Student Health Service if they have a fever and respiratory illness. Furthermore, they should refrain from attending classes and work and limit contact with others.

Furthermore, President Donna Shalala will not shake hands with students as they receive their diploma because the virus spreads through personal contact much like a standard seasonal flu.

Although treatable, the virus can have serious consequences if left unattended.

There has been no reported cases of H1N1 on campus.

The Student Health Service can be contacted at (305) 284-9100.

More information are can be found on the University website at http://www6.miami.edu/UMH/CDA/UMH_Main/1,1770,66286-1,00.html.

May 7, 2009

Megan Terilli

Contributing EDGE Writer

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

UMIAMIFL also outperformed two key S&P benchmarks by more than nine percent. ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...

The University of Miami announced Monday that it has relieved Mary-Frances Monroe of her duties as h ...

As the University of Miami heads into 2018, check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Hurricanes and Blue Devils square off at 7 p.m. Monday. ...