Football, Tennis

Torretta to be inducted into College Football Hall of Fame

Former University of Miami quarterback Gino Torretta has been selected as a 2009 inductee into the College Football Hall of Fame.

Torretta is the fourth Hurricane player to be selected for induction, joining Bennie Blades (2006), Don Bosseler (1990), Ted Hendricks (1987) and coaches Andy Gustafson (1985) and Jack Harding (1980).

Others to be inducted include Tim Brown (WR, Notre Dame), Major Harris (QB, West Virginia) and Chris Spielman (LB, Ohio State).

A key factor in Miami’s national championship-contending teams in the late 1980s and early 1990s, Torretta unanimously claimed First Team All-America honors, the Heisman Trophy, Davey O’Brien, Johnny Unitas Golden Arm, Maxwell and Walter Camp awards in 1992.

He finished his Miami career with eleven school passing records, including career attempts (991), completions (555), yards (7,690), total offense (7,772), longest pass (99 yards to Horace Copeland vs. Arkansas, an NCAA record) and most passing yards in a game (485 vs. San Diego State).

May 4, 2009

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...