Football, Tennis

Torretta to be inducted into College Football Hall of Fame

Former University of Miami quarterback Gino Torretta has been selected as a 2009 inductee into the College Football Hall of Fame.

Torretta is the fourth Hurricane player to be selected for induction, joining Bennie Blades (2006), Don Bosseler (1990), Ted Hendricks (1987) and coaches Andy Gustafson (1985) and Jack Harding (1980).

Others to be inducted include Tim Brown (WR, Notre Dame), Major Harris (QB, West Virginia) and Chris Spielman (LB, Ohio State).

A key factor in Miami’s national championship-contending teams in the late 1980s and early 1990s, Torretta unanimously claimed First Team All-America honors, the Heisman Trophy, Davey O’Brien, Johnny Unitas Golden Arm, Maxwell and Walter Camp awards in 1992.

He finished his Miami career with eleven school passing records, including career attempts (991), completions (555), yards (7,690), total offense (7,772), longest pass (99 yards to Horace Copeland vs. Arkansas, an NCAA record) and most passing yards in a game (485 vs. San Diego State).

May 4, 2009

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

When UM coach Mark Richt summoned quarterback Malik Rosier into his office last year, a few months a ...

Quarterback Malik Rosier of the No. 8-ranked Miami Hurricanes maintains a solid third place in what ...

University of Miami head coach Mark Richt was selected to the 20-member Paul "Bear" Bryant ...

University of Miami sophomore Bruce Brown Jr. was among 21 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

Head coach Katie Meier and senior forward/center Erykah Davenport will represent Miami Thursday at t ...