Football, Tennis

Torretta to be inducted into College Football Hall of Fame

Former University of Miami quarterback Gino Torretta has been selected as a 2009 inductee into the College Football Hall of Fame.

Torretta is the fourth Hurricane player to be selected for induction, joining Bennie Blades (2006), Don Bosseler (1990), Ted Hendricks (1987) and coaches Andy Gustafson (1985) and Jack Harding (1980).

Others to be inducted include Tim Brown (WR, Notre Dame), Major Harris (QB, West Virginia) and Chris Spielman (LB, Ohio State).

A key factor in Miami’s national championship-contending teams in the late 1980s and early 1990s, Torretta unanimously claimed First Team All-America honors, the Heisman Trophy, Davey O’Brien, Johnny Unitas Golden Arm, Maxwell and Walter Camp awards in 1992.

He finished his Miami career with eleven school passing records, including career attempts (991), completions (555), yards (7,690), total offense (7,772), longest pass (99 yards to Horace Copeland vs. Arkansas, an NCAA record) and most passing yards in a game (485 vs. San Diego State).

May 4, 2009

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Daniela Deu was drawn to both architecture and urbanism, believes architecture can change communitie ...

Check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Members from the Miami track and field team spent the afternoon at the Boys and Girls Club in Miami ...

University of Miami diver Briadam Herrera collected a 1-meter national title at the Greensboro Aquat ...

Two Hurricanes receive AVCA All-America recognition for first time since 2014. ...

Coming off its first top-25 victory of the year, the Miami women's basketball team will play it ...