Jacqueline Dixon named the interim dean of Arts and Sciences

Jacqueline Dixon has been named the interim dean of the College of Arts and Sciences until a replacement for Michael R. Halleran, the former dean, is found.

In her new position, Dixon faces the immediate problems that the economy brings. She plans to keep the school affordable while maintaining the quality of the school.

“What are three problems we face?” she said. “The economy, the economy, the economy.”

As of May 7, the school’s numbers for the incoming class of 2009 that have paid their deposit are down 10 percent compared to last year, which Dixon said is not a crisis.

However, this number has been adjusted to account for the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Sciences becoming a separate entity from the School of Arts and Sciences at the beginning of the academic year.

The university as a whole is down one percent in terms of students that have paid their deposits compared to last year’s class.

“These numbers are fluid and will continue to change through the summer,” Dixon said in an email.

As the interim dean, Dixon can still be considered a candidate for the Dean of Arts and Sciences. Dixon said that traditionally the university has looked outside of its faculty for deans.

Dixon will begin this position on July 1.

Halleran left the University of Miami after taking the offer to be the provost at the College of William & Mary.

Dixon has been a member of UM’s faculty since 1992. She began her career at UM in the Marine Geology and Geophysics at the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science. In 2006, she became the senior associate dean for the life and physical sciences.

Dixon got her bachelor’s and master’s degrees from Stanford University and a Ph.D. from California Institute of Technology.

May 4, 2009

Ed S. Fishman

News Editor

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

Remember that “hit list’’ the University of Miami football team had last year? Florida State, North ...

One is a former NBA first-rounder who played 13 seasons after starring for the Miami Hurricanes in t ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Participants of the ninth annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event on campus pledge to help end sexual ...

A Faculty Staff Assistance Program dance therapy class gets employees on their feet and focused on w ...

A University of Miami political scientist explores what a transition of power in Cuba means for its ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team notched its 10th ACC win of the season with a 5-2 road tri ...

Due to inclement weather expected in the region Sunday, the University of Miami baseball program ann ...

The University of Miami baseball team will host visiting Pittsburgh for a three-game series beginnin ...

Johnson, Mack and McGusty join Hurricanes' program for 2018-19 season. ...

Kasey Crider was named Miami volleyball's associate head coach after three seasons on head coac ...