Student Government Briefs

Attendance policy changes considered
A bill to recommend the standardization of the attendance policy of the University of Miami administration was tabled by Student Government yesterday.

This means that SG will work with the administration over the summer and try to come up with a mutually acceptable bill that will be voted on in the fall.

Currently, excused illness and make-up work are left to the instructor’s discretion.

“This is an effort to make things as equal as possible,” said Kelly Fitzpatrick, a sophomore and the university affairs committee chair. “Why should a student in Arts and Sciences be able to make up work for being absent in a class while a student in a different school does not get that option.”

Members of SG researched other ACC, private and Florida colleges to see their policies on attendance.

“In general, most schools are more explicit on their policies,” Fitzpatrick said. “Florida public schools are much more uniform as they are mandated by laws.”

Swine Flu
Patricia Whitely, the vice president for Student Affairs, visited SG yesterday and discussed the swine flu. She said that resident advisers have been give hand sanitizer to distribute to students. Commuter students can get bottles of Purell at the University Center.

Additionally, the health center will be open seven days a week.

Ed S. Fishman

News Editor

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

UMIAMIFL also outperformed two key S&P benchmarks by more than nine percent. ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...

The University of Miami announced Monday that it has relieved Mary-Frances Monroe of her duties as h ...

As the University of Miami heads into 2018, check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Hurricanes and Blue Devils square off at 7 p.m. Monday. ...