Student Band Profile: Beckham County Trainwreck

Beckham County Trainwreck practices at their place.  MATT WALLACH // HURRICANE STAFF

Beckham County Trainwreck practices at their place. MATT WALLACH // HURRICANE STAFF

Something seems amiss in a house on Placetas Street. The house, located across US-1, seems miles away from the University of Miami. Lexus SUVs and Mercedes Benz coupes don’t sit in the driveway, and the inside isn’t marked by minimalistic, modern design. Instead, green, purple and blue psychedelic sheets hang from the ceiling, separating rooms in a shroud of trippy fashion.

In the back room of the house, racks of guitars line the walls, cases lean precariously against a couch, and packages of D’Addario strings litter the floor. A worn drum kit sits in the corner, with the floor tom supported by a red plastic crate and the ride cymbal missing a chunk of metal.

The five guys of Beckham County Trainwreck, all current or former students at UM, practice in this room once or twice a week. They seem to have a sense of stage presence – bouncing, grinning, grimacing and head-banging to their music – even in their holey t-shirts, baggy jeans and in the middle of pretentious, suburban Coral Gables.

Nick Albury, Ethan Cohen, Kyle Crossland, Karl Fagerstrom and Rob Faulstich officially came together as Beckham Country Trainwreck in 2008. Their sound is a kind of “rock-funk-jam-with-not-so-shitty-country,” says Cohen, a senior majoring in business. Yet Fagerstrom, a senior studying jazz percussion, and Faulstich, a junior majoring in entrepreneurship, played in metal bands in high school, Cohen only played blues, and Crossland cites some acoustic influences.

This “mash-up” as Faulstich calls it, works well for the guys of Beckham County Trainwreck. According to Albury, who withdrew from UM last year, the band has “a particular writing style. Each song is in a different genre, but has the same style.”

He and Cohen harmonize their guitar parts while Fagerstrom and Faulstich challenge each other with syncopated rhythms on drums and bass, respectively. Crossland yells, whispers and sways, depending on the vibe of the song.

Beckham County Trainwreck plans on recording some of their songs in the next few weeks to release an EP in the near future. Other goals include playing at festivals. The idea appeals to Crossland, a junior majoring in music business, because “it’s a bunch of music lovers all in one place.”

But they’re willing to start local.

“Miami’s rock scene is definitely cause for concern,” Cohen said. They brought their funk-jam-rock to the UC Patio earlier in April, when they opened for the Ying Yang Twins and they frequent Bougainvillea’s, a small bar and music venue in South Miami.

“We’ll play for anyone who appreciates our music,” Faulstich said. “We’re not tailoring our music to fill anyone’s needs.”

If You Go:

What: Beckham County Trainwreck

When: Saturday, May 2 at 8-11 p.m.

Where: Bougainvillea’s, 7221 SW 58th Ave. Miami, FL

Cost:

For more information, visit www.myspace.com/bctrainwreck.

Hilary Saunders

Senior EDGE Writer

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...