Sports Briefs

FOOTBALL

Head coach Randy Shannon will be awarded the Orange Bowl Keith Tribble Trailblazer Award at the Orange Bowl Committee’s seventh annual Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida Field of Dreams Scholarship Benefit at 7 p.m. on May 8 at the Broward County Convention Center.

The award honors an individual who has made a significant impact in South Florida and is given annually to a person who has helped open doors, blazed trails and prepared a way for others to have better lives.

Shannon was named the head football coach of the University of Miami on December 8, 2006. He is one of only seven African-American head coaches from among the 119 schools in the Football Bowl Subdivision and the only one from a BCS automatic-qualifying conference.

BASEBALL

Junior and preseason All-American closer Kyle Bellamy earned Muscle Milk Student-Athlete of the Week after saving both of Miami’s wins over Virginia Tech over the weekend in five scoreless innings, increasing his league-leading save total to 12. He allowed just two hits and two walks and fanned eight to earn his seventh and eighth multi-inning saves.

On the season, Bellamy is 3-1 with a 1.34 ERA and 52 strikeouts in 33 2/3 innings.

MEN’S BASKETBALL

Miami will play host to Minnesota in the 2009 Big Ten/ACC Challenge on Dec. 2 at the BankUnited Center.

It marks the fourth time that the Hurricanes will participate in the challenge. The Gophers, who fell to Texas in the first round of the 2009 NCAA tournament, will face the Canes for the first time.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief