Late-night running route under consideration

In an attempt to develop a safe, late-night jogging path, the University of Miami Police Advisory Board, an SG executive committee, has issued a survey. The idea for this route was suggested by Chris Carvajal, a freshman and general member of the Police Advisory Board.

“Every time I pass by the university late at night I see plenty of people running around campus,” he said. “Why not have a safe designated area to run on at this time?”

This questionnaire comes after a failed attempt by the board to open up the track to late-night runners. However, this idea did not succeed because of athletics and budget concerns.

“The university is very data driven,” said Chris Nielsen, a senior and the chair of the advisory board. “So we decided to create a research survey.”

A new possibility is having a route around the lake, possibly with three security checkpoints for late-night running. Also, running groups could be developed. These options would be available for three nights a week on a trial basis.

The board will meet with John Pepper, UMPD’s crime prevention coordinator, to discuss the survey results on Monday.

The surveys that have been returned have been very vocal, but not a large amount of people have returned them, according to Neilsen. Some of the responses said they would rather have the hours later, from 5 a.m. to 7 a.m., instead of the proposed 12 a.m. to 3 a.m.

Safety has been an issue for people jogging around the school as an individual unaffiliated with the university was attacked on a Sunday morning in September of 2008. In February of the same year, a female student was attacked.

The Police Advisory Board cannot create initiatives but only suggest them to the police department at the university.

The survey has been placed in e-Veritas, Ibis News and the UM Police listserv and is available at http://everitas.univmiami.net/2009/04/24/opinions-sought-regarding-possible-late-night-jogging-path/

Ed S. Fishman

News Editor

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...