Baseball

Baseball student managers just ‘one of the guys’

CHRISTINA DE NICOLA // HURRICANE STAFF
CHRISTINA DE NICOLA // HURRICANE STAFF

Behind the young Miami baseball team stand two veterans – but they’ve never taken to the field in a game or had their names on the back of jerseys.

Senior Ross Kumasaki and junior Scott Volpe are the two student managers for the 13th-ranked Hurricanes, which means they deal with everything from receiving Nike deliveries to setting up practice to helping the coaches.

“Most teams have to get the balls, tees and pitching machines on their own. Another big help that goes unnoticed is they actually keep us out of some trouble,” junior right-hander Anthony Nalepa said. “If I forgot my glove during stretching, which we need for batting practice right after, they usually grab it for us so we don’t have to run all the way back to the locker room. I don’t think they get enough credit for what they actually do because it’s all on their own time.”

Kumasaki, a native of Honolulu, Hawaii, is no stranger to the game of baseball. His father is a pro scout for the Red Sox. Before deciding on a school, he wrote a letter to each coach asking if there was a way he could help out.

“Whether it was a good letter, or a bad letter, it was the only letter,” said head coach Jim Morris, who was the only one to write back. “He does a great job. He’s spent as much time as anybody in the program.”

Volpe, on the other hand, played four years of high school baseball and had a gym teacher who played on the 1985 national championship team call in a favor.

“It’s tough sometimes because I could play club ball if I wanted to, but I realized then that I wasn’t going to play in the big leagues so why even bother,” he said. “I’m still staying within the game.”

While Volpe acknowledges the obstacle of not having played in the majors to achieve his goal of becoming a general manager, he will be interning with the Red Sox this summer and hopes to follow in the footsteps of the team’s current GM, Theo Epstein.

“It’s a changing breed in the front office and he might be one of them because he’s a very smart kid who works very hard,” Morris said.

Volpe said that coming from a great program like Miami has already gotten his foot in the door watching the players develop and talking with scouts. It’s also gotten the Garden City, N.Y., native a fair share of perks.

“All the gear. The players get a lot, but we get more. Most people don’t realize that,” he said. “We get no pay at all and no volunteer credit for anything so the only benefits for us come in shoes, sunglasses. We have some of the same perks they do like having all of our classes before game time.”

And much like the most superstitious of baseball players, Kumasaki drinks a Grasshopper mint milkshake with Oreo before every game. The senior business management major doesn’t know what he will do after graduation, but remembers his favorite moment as a student manager.

“Probably the two times I went to Omaha with the team,” he said. “We had a really good team last year. I was really close with a lot of those guys since many of them who aren’t here anymore came in with me as freshmen.”

During the preseason banquet in which New York Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez stole headlines with his first public appearance after his admittance to steroids, Kumasaki fittingly won the “Unsung Hero” award.

“I would say they are both just fit for the position because they are both baseball fans and they both fit in with our team and are one of the guys because they care about how we do and they want to see us always winning,” junior Jason Hagerty said.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

It was midweek when Miami leading receiver Braxton Berrios wistfully spoke of his four years as a Hu ...

Eli Rosier will be back where he belongs Saturday, where he feels most at home. He will be at a foot ...

The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball team remained undefeated with a 90-59 victory o ...

They remain undefeated — but still untested. The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball te ...

It has inspired T-shirts and a Migos-style hype song. Soon, fans will have a beer brewed in honor of ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

Miami's seniors will play their final home game at Hard Rock Stadium when the Canes face Virgin ...

Six Hurricanes were in double figures as the Hurricanes improved to 3-0 on the season. ...

The University of Miami rowing team introduced the newest members of the Hurricanes rowing program o ...