‘The Soloist’ fails to live up to potential

The trailer for The Soloist showed so much promise. It was stirring, emotional, beautiful and featured amazing music. Combining Robert Downey Jr. and Jamie Foxx with director Joe Wright should have created something electrifying. Unfortunately, the final product is far less than the individual parts. Downey, Wright and an immense amount of Beethoven and Bach are all wasted on a film that is more saccharine and preachy than anything.

The main problem lies not in its performances, one outstanding (Downey) and one cloying (the overrated Jamie Foxx), nor in its direction. Wright, who rose to fame with films like 2005’s rehash of Pride and Prejudice and 2007’s Atonement, presents an honest and unsparing look at homelessness and mental illness on Los Angeles’ famed Skid Row, but the issue at hand is the plot. Simply put, nothing happens for far too long. A journalist (Downey) befriends a schizophrenic, immensely talented musician (Foxx), and then nothing happens. Will the musician overcome his illness to play again? Will the journalist remain the musician’s friend? Will anyone care? Honestly, probably not.

Rating: 2/4 stars

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...