‘Obsessed’ awesomely bad but wholly entertaining

The funny thing about Obsessed is that it just might be the worst movie of the year, but it’s also the most enjoyable one thus far. A wholly unoriginal rehash of Fatal Attraction, Obsessed serves as a vehicle for singer-“actress” Beyoncé’s massive ego. From her glaring central location on the poster to the last shot of her face and her melodramatic song playing over the final scene, Obsessed is clearly nothing more than The Beyoncé Movie, featuring other actors no one really cares about.

That doesn’t mean that Obsessed isn’t a ton of fun to watch. Most audience members seemed to treat it as if they were watching The Rocky Horror Picture Show, and hooting, catcalls and amusing yelling made the film far more bearable than it would have been had the audience behaved.

The plot – if it can be called it one – is as thin as they come. An asset manager (Idris Elba) with a seemingly perfect life is stalked by a crazy woman (Ali Larter). Beyoncé is, of course, the manager’s wife, and the movie does not miss an opportunity to praise the character’s temperament or appearance. Maybe the economic recession drove a legitimate actor such as Elba to appear in the film, and actor Bruce McGill seems to be the only one in on the joke that the movie he’s in is total crap.

Beyoncé does not give a performance; rather, she preens for the camera every time she’s on screen. The most hilarious part of the film is the inevitable showdown between Beyoncé and Larter. Like the film, it’s as predictable as they come but no less entertaining. The best way to describe the fight scene, Beyoncé’s “acting,” and the film itself is to steal a phrase from VH1 – they’re all “awesomely bad.”

Rating: 1.5/4 stars

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...