Track and field competes at Penn Relays

PETE LODATO // THE DAILY PENNSYLVANIAN

PETE LODATO // THE DAILY PENNSYLVANIAN

Sophomore Tara Thomas, juniors Kristy Whyte and Nene Kamate and senior Murielle Ahoure won the women’s 4×100 college final this past weekend at the Penn Relays at Franklin Field on the campus of the University of Pennsylvania.

“The 4×100 ran really well today, very solid,” said Amy Deem, the track and field director. “They won convincingly, and anytime you win a race at the Penn Relays it’s a big accomplishment.”

Junior Deandra Doyley set a new personal record as she reached a career-best mark of 12.53m (41-01.50) in the triple jump and also placed third in the college women’s long jump championship for the No. 15 women’s track and field team. It is the first time this season that she has reached a regional qualifying mark.

“Deandra has had two big weekends in a row, getting her PR in the long jump at ACC’s and then coming in third yesterday,” Deem said. “Getting her PR today is another example of how well she is jumping and we are excited for her going into championship season.”

Freshman Brittni Finch leapt 6.07m (19-11.00) in the long jump for second among the 24 competitors in the college division.

Kamate, sophomore Tameka Jameson, Ahoure and Whyte finished sixth in the women’s 4×400 Championship of America Saturday with a time of 3:38.40.

For the men, junior Mikese Morse leapt 7.59m (24-11.00) in the long jump, claiming the fifth spot and his third regional qualifying jump.

Since 1922, the Penn Relays has been the nation’s oldest and most prestigious track and field relay event. Besides hosting high schools and college track and field programs, amateur and professional athletes participate at Franklin Field. Over 1,200 schools competed in the three-day event as over 100,000 attended the meet.

Both the men’s and women’s track and field teams return to action in the UCF Twilight Meet, which takes May 9 in Orlando.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

After jumping three spots from No. 10 to No. 7 last week in the Amway Coaches Poll (one spot better ...

University of Miami weak-side linebacker Michael Pinckney is definitely old-school Miami Hurricane. ...

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he was locked in. ...

Kolby Bird had a career-high 21 kills, but the Hurricanes dropped a five-set battle to Notre Dame on ...

The Miami soccer team recognized its four seniors Sunday afternoon and then dropped a hard-fought 2- ...