Track and field competes at Penn Relays

PETE LODATO // THE DAILY PENNSYLVANIAN

PETE LODATO // THE DAILY PENNSYLVANIAN

Sophomore Tara Thomas, juniors Kristy Whyte and Nene Kamate and senior Murielle Ahoure won the women’s 4×100 college final this past weekend at the Penn Relays at Franklin Field on the campus of the University of Pennsylvania.

“The 4×100 ran really well today, very solid,” said Amy Deem, the track and field director. “They won convincingly, and anytime you win a race at the Penn Relays it’s a big accomplishment.”

Junior Deandra Doyley set a new personal record as she reached a career-best mark of 12.53m (41-01.50) in the triple jump and also placed third in the college women’s long jump championship for the No. 15 women’s track and field team. It is the first time this season that she has reached a regional qualifying mark.

“Deandra has had two big weekends in a row, getting her PR in the long jump at ACC’s and then coming in third yesterday,” Deem said. “Getting her PR today is another example of how well she is jumping and we are excited for her going into championship season.”

Freshman Brittni Finch leapt 6.07m (19-11.00) in the long jump for second among the 24 competitors in the college division.

Kamate, sophomore Tameka Jameson, Ahoure and Whyte finished sixth in the women’s 4×400 Championship of America Saturday with a time of 3:38.40.

For the men, junior Mikese Morse leapt 7.59m (24-11.00) in the long jump, claiming the fifth spot and his third regional qualifying jump.

Since 1922, the Penn Relays has been the nation’s oldest and most prestigious track and field relay event. Besides hosting high schools and college track and field programs, amateur and professional athletes participate at Franklin Field. Over 1,200 schools competed in the three-day event as over 100,000 attended the meet.

Both the men’s and women’s track and field teams return to action in the UCF Twilight Meet, which takes May 9 in Orlando.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...