New chairman of Board of Trustees elected

On April 24, 2009, Dr. Phillip George was named the new chairman of the University of Miami’s Board of Trustees, which he has been a member of since 1989. This board governs the university.

George replaces Reverend Marta Weeks, the first woman to chair the board. He is a graduate of UM’s Miller School of Medicine and a retired plastic surgeon.

The chair, an elected position, is subject to term limits.

Mathew E. Rubel was also added to the board as the alumni trustee along with T. Mechelle Francis, who was added as the student trustee.

Rubel is the CEO and president of Collective Brands, Inc., and an alumnus of UM’s School of Business. Francis is a doctorate student in international studies and is scheduled to graduate in 2011.

Ed S. Fishman

News Editor

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Anna Runia won the women's 400m hurdles at the Netherlands track and field championships, while ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...