New chairman of Board of Trustees elected

On April 24, 2009, Dr. Phillip George was named the new chairman of the University of Miami’s Board of Trustees, which he has been a member of since 1989. This board governs the university.

George replaces Reverend Marta Weeks, the first woman to chair the board. He is a graduate of UM’s Miller School of Medicine and a retired plastic surgeon.

The chair, an elected position, is subject to term limits.

Mathew E. Rubel was also added to the board as the alumni trustee along with T. Mechelle Francis, who was added as the student trustee.

Rubel is the CEO and president of Collective Brands, Inc., and an alumnus of UM’s School of Business. Francis is a doctorate student in international studies and is scheduled to graduate in 2011.

Ed S. Fishman

News Editor

The University of Miami celebrated on Thursday night with an NFL Draft first-round pick for the thir ...

When Al Golden recruited David Njoku to the University of Miami in 2014 the Cedar Grove, N.J. native ...

The night after FIU gave away a game to the University of Miami with a ninth-inning passed ball that ...

Redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison left the University of Miami football program on Tuesday. ...

Closer Frankie Bartow stared into the Panthers’ dugout immediately after fanning the final batter of ...

UM marks Holocaust Remembrance Day with a reading of names and recollections of a survivor. ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Check out some of the best photos from the Miami women's tennis team's 4-0 victory against ...

Images from @CanesMensTennis match against Duke. ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's tennis team will make its ninth appearance in the ACC Champions ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's tennis team defeated No. 12-seed Boston College, 4-0, Friday af ...

The University of Miami track and field team closed out the 2017 outdoor track and field regular sea ...