New chairman of Board of Trustees elected

On April 24, 2009, Dr. Phillip George was named the new chairman of the University of Miami’s Board of Trustees, which he has been a member of since 1989. This board governs the university.

George replaces Reverend Marta Weeks, the first woman to chair the board. He is a graduate of UM’s Miller School of Medicine and a retired plastic surgeon.

The chair, an elected position, is subject to term limits.

Mathew E. Rubel was also added to the board as the alumni trustee along with T. Mechelle Francis, who was added as the student trustee.

Rubel is the CEO and president of Collective Brands, Inc., and an alumnus of UM’s School of Business. Francis is a doctorate student in international studies and is scheduled to graduate in 2011.

About Author

Ed S. Fishman News Editor

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

Just one glance at Brad Kaaya throwing passes Tuesday after the University of Miami’s first spring f ...

Yes, the Hurricanes’ uncertainty at quarterback has created some uneasiness, as Mark Richt told me r ...

Senior guards Adrienne Motley and Jessica Thomas sat slumped over on the Watsco Center floor late Mo ...

Spring has sprung for the University of Miami football program. Practice, closed to the public, had ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

UM physicist studies the unexpected consequences of sub-second delays on fast-moving data systems ...

The world renown flautist joins the Frost School of Music ...

A fluid multi-platform exhibition examines the impacts of climate change through art, research, medi ...

The No. 37 Miami women's tennis team will head north to take on Boston College Friday at 1 p.m. ...

Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the dates for the 2 ...

Briadam Herrera picked up the third All-America honor of his career Thursday with a fifth-place fini ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame will hold the 49th Annual UMSHoF Induction Banquet on Tu ...

Football players Braxton Berrios and Demetrius Jackson, soccer player Phallon Tullis-Joyce, cross co ...