New chairman of Board of Trustees elected

On April 24, 2009, Dr. Phillip George was named the new chairman of the University of Miami’s Board of Trustees, which he has been a member of since 1989. This board governs the university.

George replaces Reverend Marta Weeks, the first woman to chair the board. He is a graduate of UM’s Miller School of Medicine and a retired plastic surgeon.

The chair, an elected position, is subject to term limits.

Mathew E. Rubel was also added to the board as the alumni trustee along with T. Mechelle Francis, who was added as the student trustee.

Rubel is the CEO and president of Collective Brands, Inc., and an alumnus of UM’s School of Business. Francis is a doctorate student in international studies and is scheduled to graduate in 2011.

Ed S. Fishman

News Editor

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...