Hurricane Productions wins Organization of Year

Hurricane Productions was named the Organization of the Year on Wednesday night at the COSO Student Organization Achievement & Recognition (SOAR) Awards. They beat out seven other organizations which included the Association of Commuter Students, Indian Students’ Association, Rho Rho Rho and United Black Students.

“Organization of the Year encompasses all of the awards in one,” said Jaife Calil, the chair of COSO, the Committee of Sponsoring Organizations, for the 2009-2010 school year. “We tried to give it to an organization who was consistent throughout the entire year.”

Other awards given out were Most Spirited Organization (ACS), Most Improved Organization (Rho Rho Rho) and Best New Organization (Respect Life).

Amongst the awards given out were also those dedicated to excellence in programming in several specific areas: Cultural (ISA), Innovative (UBS), Performance (ISA) and Community Service (FEC), as well as an award dedicated to a new emphasis from COSO, co-sponsorship of events.

This award, won by Ocean Kids for Underprivilaged, Minority Children of South Florida, was designed to promote cooperation between organizations.

“Co-sponsorship is designed to bring all of the ideas to the board and create the best event possible,” said Amar Mandalia, the vice-chair of COSO.

The event took place at the Westin Hotel in downtown Coral Gables. Students from many of the nominated organizations were in attendance.

This year, students and administrators were introduced into the selection process to allow organizations to demonstrate their work across campus. It brought to a close a school year that featured many outstanding programs from these organizations.

“This event is a great way for us to award individuals and organizations for the hard work that they have done,” Mandalia said.

An entire list of winners and nominees can be found at www.themiamihurricane.com.

Ian Hest

Contributing EDGE Writer

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...