Hurricane Productions wins Organization of Year

Hurricane Productions was named the Organization of the Year on Wednesday night at the COSO Student Organization Achievement & Recognition (SOAR) Awards. They beat out seven other organizations which included the Association of Commuter Students, Indian Students’ Association, Rho Rho Rho and United Black Students.

“Organization of the Year encompasses all of the awards in one,” said Jaife Calil, the chair of COSO, the Committee of Sponsoring Organizations, for the 2009-2010 school year. “We tried to give it to an organization who was consistent throughout the entire year.”

Other awards given out were Most Spirited Organization (ACS), Most Improved Organization (Rho Rho Rho) and Best New Organization (Respect Life).

Amongst the awards given out were also those dedicated to excellence in programming in several specific areas: Cultural (ISA), Innovative (UBS), Performance (ISA) and Community Service (FEC), as well as an award dedicated to a new emphasis from COSO, co-sponsorship of events.

This award, won by Ocean Kids for Underprivilaged, Minority Children of South Florida, was designed to promote cooperation between organizations.

“Co-sponsorship is designed to bring all of the ideas to the board and create the best event possible,” said Amar Mandalia, the vice-chair of COSO.

The event took place at the Westin Hotel in downtown Coral Gables. Students from many of the nominated organizations were in attendance.

This year, students and administrators were introduced into the selection process to allow organizations to demonstrate their work across campus. It brought to a close a school year that featured many outstanding programs from these organizations.

“This event is a great way for us to award individuals and organizations for the hard work that they have done,” Mandalia said.

An entire list of winners and nominees can be found at www.themiamihurricane.com.

Ian Hest

Contributing EDGE Writer

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...