Hurricane Productions wins Organization of Year

Hurricane Productions was named the Organization of the Year on Wednesday night at the COSO Student Organization Achievement & Recognition (SOAR) Awards. They beat out seven other organizations which included the Association of Commuter Students, Indian Students’ Association, Rho Rho Rho and United Black Students.

“Organization of the Year encompasses all of the awards in one,” said Jaife Calil, the chair of COSO, the Committee of Sponsoring Organizations, for the 2009-2010 school year. “We tried to give it to an organization who was consistent throughout the entire year.”

Other awards given out were Most Spirited Organization (ACS), Most Improved Organization (Rho Rho Rho) and Best New Organization (Respect Life).

Amongst the awards given out were also those dedicated to excellence in programming in several specific areas: Cultural (ISA), Innovative (UBS), Performance (ISA) and Community Service (FEC), as well as an award dedicated to a new emphasis from COSO, co-sponsorship of events.

This award, won by Ocean Kids for Underprivilaged, Minority Children of South Florida, was designed to promote cooperation between organizations.

“Co-sponsorship is designed to bring all of the ideas to the board and create the best event possible,” said Amar Mandalia, the vice-chair of COSO.

The event took place at the Westin Hotel in downtown Coral Gables. Students from many of the nominated organizations were in attendance.

This year, students and administrators were introduced into the selection process to allow organizations to demonstrate their work across campus. It brought to a close a school year that featured many outstanding programs from these organizations.

“This event is a great way for us to award individuals and organizations for the hard work that they have done,” Mandalia said.

An entire list of winners and nominees can be found at www.themiamihurricane.com.

Ian Hest

Contributing EDGE Writer

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Hurricane Productions wins Organization of Year”

1. Kelsey says:

I can’t find the full list

Daniela Deu was drawn to both architecture and urbanism, believes architecture can change communitie ...

Canes Basketball player development assistant will graduate with MSED in Sport Administation. ...

UOnline graduate will earn his M.S. in Health Informatics ...

Two Hurricanes receive AVCA All-America recognition for first time since 2014. ...

Coming off its first top-25 victory of the year, the Miami women's basketball team will play it ...