BankUnited Center comes alive with the sounds of the Billboard Latin Music Awards

Singer Paulina Rubio poses on the red carpet. She performed "Causa y Effecto" for the first time publicly at the 2009 Billboard Latin Music Awards. The 2009 Billboard Latin Music Awards were held at the BankUnited Center Thursday April 23.  TANYA THOMPSON // ASSISTANT PHOTO EDITOR

Singer Paulina Rubio poses on the red carpet. She performed "Causa y Effecto" for the first time publicly at the 2009 Billboard Latin Music Awards. The 2009 Billboard Latin Music Awards were held at the BankUnited Center Thursday April 23. TANYA THOMPSON // ASSISTANT PHOTO EDITOR

The 2009 Billboard Latin Music Awards drew many celebrities and performers from the Latin music industry to the University of Miami’s BankUnited Center on April 23.

The Miami Hurricane was granted an exclusive behind-the-scenes tour of the event, and found many things different in the familiar venue. In place of the concrete sidewalk, a red carpet was populated with cameras. An elaborate stage, complete with mosh pit, filled a good portion of the basketball court. A total of 15 cameras were spread throughout the arena, and a teleprompter quickly scrolled in Spanish. Trucks filled the back parking lot of the center, each housing intricate film equipment to broadcast the awards show. Luxurious motor homes lined another section of the lot, where stars would lounge before the show. There was a palpable sense of anticipation and excitement in the air.

Broadcast live by Telemundo, the awards show began with an electrifying performance by Akon, Wisin and Yandel, and Aventura, singing a new, unreleased song, “It’s All Up to You.” With a driving beat and mechanized vocal effects, the song seemed a perfect representation of Miami – a mix of old and new, of Spanish and English.

“I thought the opening number from these guys really set the tone for the night,” said Ken Wilkey, the senior vice president of Telemundo Network Broadcast Operations. “The performance was just what the show needed for an outstanding opening number.”

The rest of the show consisted of award presentations with musical acts interspersed. Winners were determined by sales and radio air-play during a period of one year and were honored as the most popular acts in Latin music.

“[All the artists] are winners,” stated Ephrem J, a singer from Curacao in attendance at the event. “They all work hard at what they do.”

By the end of the night, the top winners included Flex, a pop-reggaeton singer who took home eight awards, and UM alumnus Enrique Iglesias, who received six. Mexican rock band Maná and Aventura, a R&B-bachata group, both received four awards.

Members of the band Maná also presented Carlos Santana with the Lifetime Achievement Award.

“Santana is a legend,” said Wilkey. “He is a gentleman, a humanitarian, and has accomplished so much in his life. I believe part of his success comes from the fact that he keeps reinventing himself by performing with new artists.”

Later in the show, Santana performed with Maná, his guitar wailing as usual.

“My favorite performance was Santana’s, since I grew up listening to him,” said UM freshman Stephanie Munarriz. “He’s just amazing.”

Daddy Yankee, Paulina Rubio, Reik, Flex, Ruben Blades and others also performed at the event.

“The show was really good,” said Natassia Michelsen, of Michelsen Advertising. “It is outstanding compared to all the ones I have been to, and I have been attending awards shows like this for six years now.”

Munarriz shared similar sentiments.

“I loved the show because I got to see many of my favorite artists,” she said.

“The Latin Billboard Awards are very important because they recognize Latin artists worldwide,” Munarriz explained. “Being an international student myself, I think students should take notice of awards like these to expand their views on music.”

Danielle Kaslow

Senior EDGE Writer

Friday’s NFL drought became Saturday’s downpour for the University of Miami. Eight Miami Hurricanes ...

Cornerback Corn Elder’s career highlight is a play that will forever be ingrained in college footbal ...

Safety Rayshawn Jenkins is now a Los Angeles Charger. Jenkins, who grew up in St. Petersburg, became ...

The University of Miami celebrated on Thursday night with an NFL Draft first-round pick for the thir ...

When Al Golden recruited David Njoku to the University of Miami in 2014 the Cedar Grove, N.J. native ...

UM marks Holocaust Remembrance Day with a reading of names and recollections of a survivor. ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Have a look at approximately 60 of the best pictures from the Miami women's tennis team match v ...

The University of Miami football program had nine former players selected in the 2017 NFL Draft in P ...

Miami Hurricanes fullback Marquez Williams was selected with the 240th overall pick by the Jacksonvi ...

Miami Hurricanes cornerback Adrian Colbert was selected with the 229th overall pick by the San Franc ...

Miami Hurricanes wide receiver Stacy Coley was selected with the 219th overall pick by the Minnesota ...