Sports Briefs

Senior Laura Cordner and sophomore Emily Wingrove were selected to the All-ACC team as the University of Miami rowing team finished third at Monday’s ACC Rowing Championships at Melton Lake in Oak Ridge, Tenn.

Miami earned a total of 34 points on Monday, while Clemson claimed its first-ever ACC Rowing Championship by sweeping the Varsity Four and Varsity Eight events to finish with 55 points.

Sophomore Maria Ronderos posted a 74 in the final round as Miami finished eighth at the ACC Championships this past weekend at the Sedgefield Country Club in Greensboro, N.C.

Wake Forest shot 17-over (869) to claim the championship, which was 24 strokes better than second place North Carolina (893). The Hurricanes shot 316 on the final day. Demon Deacon sophomore Natalie Sheary captured the ACC individual title with a one-over par 214.

Ronderos finished 24th with a 21-over par 234.

The Hurricanes participated in their final event of the spring season by fielding four teams in the Fiesta on Siesta Key of the Collegiate Beach Volleyball Challenge. The event was shown live on ESPNU and streamed through CBS College Sports Online.

As the matches moved into the playoff divisions, Miami had the top-seeded team for the Gold Division in freshman Lane Carico and junior Cassie Loessberg, but the duo was upset in the opening round by Notre Dame’s Kristen Dealy and Serinity Phillips, 21-14.

Redshirt sophomore Lici McGee and sophomore Maria Andersson were the only Canes to reach the second round. The pair suffered a 29-27 loss to Jacksonville’s team of Brittany Lehman and Kathyrn Kane in the Silver Division.

Antoine Allen, a 6’2″ guard from Baltimore, Md., selected Miami over teams like Florida State and Providence. He averaged 20 points, six assists and five rebounds playing prep basketball at Mississippi Elite Christian Academy and played AAU basketball for Cecil Kirk – the same Baltimore-based program that produced two-time First Team All-ACC selection Jack McClinton.

For the second consecutive season, an incoming University of Miami women’s basketball player has been named to PARADE magazine’s third-team All-American squad. Morgan Stroman from Hopkins, S.C., joined current Hurricane Shenise Johnson.

Stroman, a 6’2″ forward from Lower Richmond High School, was named to the Sporting News Prep All-American Second-Team and played in the 2009 McDonald’s All-American game at the BankUnited Center. She is ranked eighth nationally by the Blue Star report, earned the South Carolina Gatorade Player of the Year for the third consecutive season, led her team to four straight 4A state championships and received MVP honors each time.

Head swimming coach Christie Shefchunas and the University of Miami swimming and diving team took part in a Habitat for Humanity community outreach program this past Saturday as they paired with members of the Hurricanes soccer team to build a house in the Liberty City section of Miami.

Together, the Canes paired with members of a professional construction crew and fellow volunteers to help build a home for a deserving family in the Miami-Dade community.

Four University of Miami athletic squads were among those honored by the National Collegiate Athletic Association for their latest Academic Progress Report scores (APR).

The men’s cross country, men’s diving, men’s indoor track and men’s outdoor track teams were recognized as having posted multi-year APR scores in the top 10 percent of all squads in their respective sports. Those teams recognized this year had an APR score between 976 and a perfect 1000.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

A six-pack of UM notes on a Friday: ▪ Four-star Oregon-based quarterback Michael Johnson Jr. told Ri ...

On the eve of her team’s NCAA Tournament opener, University of Miami coach Katie Meier took the oppo ...

The defeated and deflated Miami Hurricanes quietly packed up their bags and trudged out of their Ame ...

Even before Donte Ingram broke Miami’s heart and sent the Hurricanes home from the NCAA Tournament w ...

And so ends Miami's season. No. 11 seed Loyola-Chicago's Donte Ingram hit a buzzer-beating ...

From bringing communities together to understanding the impacts of urbanization on the groundwater s ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s book talk on March 20 explores belonging, identity, and what it means ...

Musical theatre students spent quality time learning (and laughing) with Avenue Q co-creator Jeff Ma ...

The University of Miami takes concrete steps to become the hemispheric university as it builds a rel ...

A UM physicist comments on the passing of British theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking. ...

Kevin Arreaga set a school record as the University of Miami track and field program opened its 2018 ...

Miami put the tying run on base in the ninth inning, but fell to host No. 23 Duke, 4-3... ...

Despite a promising start and a strong finish, the University of Miami women's tennis team fell ...

The Hurricanes fell in dramatic fashion to Loyola Chicago in the First Round of the NCAA Tournament. ...

The University of Miami rowing team will open its spring season at the 2018 Oak Ridge Cardinal Invit ...