Dear V

Dear V: ‘Stimulating’ conversation makes me question purchase

I was talking with a group of my girlfriends, and the subject of vibrators came up. I mentioned that I do not own one, and they all thought I was weird. Are vibrators really that common? I always thought they were just marketed toward nymphos. Should I get one?

-Manually Powered

Dear Ms. Manual,

Take a moment to define the word “nympho.” Is it a woman with an inappropriately high sex drive? What do you consider inappropriate? If you ask me, you are putting the colorful world of masturbation into inappropriately black-and-white terms!

Everyone has some kind of sexual desire. Every sexual desire can vary in frequency and intensity. And of course, everyone gets off on something different. If you have not identified with this aspect of yourself, I recommend you take the time to do so.

The sex toy industry is worth billions of dollars for one very good reason: the variety. When we narrow things down to vibrators, they come in all shapes, sizes, textures, and colors – you name it. So many different vibrators exist because there will always be someone to buy them.

If you question springing for one of these gadgets because you are otherwise sexually satisfied (through sex with a significant other or “classic” masturbation), so be it. You don’t really need it.

If you question the purchase simply because you think vibrators are meant only for these so-called “nymphos,” you have another thing coming. The truth is that vibrators are astoundingly common, but who goes around talking about them on the day-to-day? Perhaps vibrators seem so taboo to you simply because they are so often kept on the down low. If you have that itch that you just can’t scratch, there is no harm in trying one out.

Masturbation is a stress reliever. Stress is inversely correlated with health. Therefore, masturbation is a good thing. Again, not just for the “nymphos.”

You might also be interested to know that studies have shown that masturbation can provide relief from menstrual cramps.

Enjoy yourself! I promise, we’re not judging you.

Best of luck!
-V

Advice Columnist

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Dear V: ‘Stimulating’ conversation makes me question purchase”

1. Vinny says:

Too bad you were not at UM when the Vin-man was on the prowl. I would have take care of you and you would have realized that there is no substitute for the Vin-Man!

Juwan Dowels vividly remembers his first winter on the Syracuse University campus. Like the other 11 ...

The Miami soccer team will conclude its 2017 home slate Sunday against Notre Dame and recognize its ...

The Miami soccer team registered a 3-0 victory over Pittsburgh Thursday night at Cobb Stadium behind ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team will open play Friday at the ITA Southeast Region ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...