V's Take

Dear V: ‘Stimulating’ conversation makes me question purchase

I was talking with a group of my girlfriends, and the subject of vibrators came up. I mentioned that I do not own one, and they all thought I was weird. Are vibrators really that common? I always thought they were just marketed toward nymphos. Should I get one?

-Manually Powered

Dear Ms. Manual,

Take a moment to define the word “nympho.” Is it a woman with an inappropriately high sex drive? What do you consider inappropriate? If you ask me, you are putting the colorful world of masturbation into inappropriately black-and-white terms!

Everyone has some kind of sexual desire. Every sexual desire can vary in frequency and intensity. And of course, everyone gets off on something different. If you have not identified with this aspect of yourself, I recommend you take the time to do so.

The sex toy industry is worth billions of dollars for one very good reason: the variety. When we narrow things down to vibrators, they come in all shapes, sizes, textures, and colors – you name it. So many different vibrators exist because there will always be someone to buy them.

If you question springing for one of these gadgets because you are otherwise sexually satisfied (through sex with a significant other or “classic” masturbation), so be it. You don’t really need it.

If you question the purchase simply because you think vibrators are meant only for these so-called “nymphos,” you have another thing coming. The truth is that vibrators are astoundingly common, but who goes around talking about them on the day-to-day? Perhaps vibrators seem so taboo to you simply because they are so often kept on the down low. If you have that itch that you just can’t scratch, there is no harm in trying one out.

Masturbation is a stress reliever. Stress is inversely correlated with health. Therefore, masturbation is a good thing. Again, not just for the “nymphos.”

You might also be interested to know that studies have shown that masturbation can provide relief from menstrual cramps.

Enjoy yourself! I promise, we’re not judging you.

Best of luck!
-V

Advice Columnist

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Sea Secrets: Acclaimed Journalist Talks Sea Level-Rise ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

The latest edition of Quick Hits introduces middle blocker Bridget Wallenberger ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...