V's Take

Dear V: ‘Stimulating’ conversation makes me question purchase

I was talking with a group of my girlfriends, and the subject of vibrators came up. I mentioned that I do not own one, and they all thought I was weird. Are vibrators really that common? I always thought they were just marketed toward nymphos. Should I get one?

-Manually Powered

Dear Ms. Manual,

Take a moment to define the word “nympho.” Is it a woman with an inappropriately high sex drive? What do you consider inappropriate? If you ask me, you are putting the colorful world of masturbation into inappropriately black-and-white terms!

Everyone has some kind of sexual desire. Every sexual desire can vary in frequency and intensity. And of course, everyone gets off on something different. If you have not identified with this aspect of yourself, I recommend you take the time to do so.

The sex toy industry is worth billions of dollars for one very good reason: the variety. When we narrow things down to vibrators, they come in all shapes, sizes, textures, and colors – you name it. So many different vibrators exist because there will always be someone to buy them.

If you question springing for one of these gadgets because you are otherwise sexually satisfied (through sex with a significant other or “classic” masturbation), so be it. You don’t really need it.

If you question the purchase simply because you think vibrators are meant only for these so-called “nymphos,” you have another thing coming. The truth is that vibrators are astoundingly common, but who goes around talking about them on the day-to-day? Perhaps vibrators seem so taboo to you simply because they are so often kept on the down low. If you have that itch that you just can’t scratch, there is no harm in trying one out.

Masturbation is a stress reliever. Stress is inversely correlated with health. Therefore, masturbation is a good thing. Again, not just for the “nymphos.”

You might also be interested to know that studies have shown that masturbation can provide relief from menstrual cramps.

Enjoy yourself! I promise, we’re not judging you.

Best of luck!
-V

Advice Columnist

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry and freshman Freddy Zamora were among those recognized by the At ...

Senior Jeb Bargfeldt was recognized as ACC Pitcher of the Week following a dominating performance ag ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

Although 17th-year head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews has made Sweet 16 appearances commonplace the jour ...