Baseball

Canes’ bats come alive, Miami wins 13-7

Jason Hagerty dives into home plate over FGCU's catcher.  The Hurricanes defeated FGCU in another come-from behind win.  The final score was 13-7.  STEVEN STUTS // HURRICANE STAFF

Jason Hagerty dives into home plate over FGCU's catcher. The Hurricanes defeated FGCU in another come-from behind win. The final score was 13-7. STEVEN STUTS // HURRICANE STAFF

For one night, No. 11 Miami’s bats came to life after being quieted by fourth-ranked North Carolina over the weekend.

The Hurricanes (27-13) rallied from an early 4-1 deficit to beat Florida Gulf Coast 13-7 Wednesday night at Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field in the first of a six-game home stand.

Junior Chris Herrmann knocked a two-out RBI single up the middle to score pinch hitter Iden Nazario for the game winner in a four-run seventh.

“When I was up at the plate today, in my mind I was saying, ‘just try not to do too much and drive in some runs’ and it happened for me,” Herrmann said.

Nazario, who is also Miami’s Sunday starter, had doubled with two outs to jump-start the Canes in a 7-7 deadlock.

“I think the guy can hit and I probably haven’t gotten him enough at-bats. I can tell you he’s starting Friday night as DH,” head coach Jim Morris said. “He’s got a good swing, the ball jumps off his bat. To me, that was the biggest hit of the game.”

Senior Dave DiNatale blasted a three-run homer later in the inning to extend the lead to 11-7. Freshman Harold Marinez added four RBIs for the Hurricanes, including a three-run homer in the fourth.

Reliever Daniel Miranda (3-2) pitched 1.2 perfect innings with two strikeouts for the win. Jacob Barnes (0-1) picked up the loss for the Eagles (22-16) as he gave up four runs on four hits in two innings.

With 14 games left before the ACC tournament, Miami hosts a three-game weekend series against the Coastal Division’s last-place Virginia Tech Hokies (24-15, 9-11).

“We just told each other that this is a point in our season where you can either decide to crumble or decide to get together as a team and really rally behind each other and and come out with a lot of heart and a lot of fire,” DiNatale said.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

The Atlantic Coast and Big Ten Conferences announced Monday, the University of Miami men's bask ...

Three members of the University of Miami men's tennis players have been selected as All-ACC Aca ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had four individuals selected to the 2017 Atlantic Co ...

A freshman from Stratham, N.H., Rebecca Ripley of the Miami women's basketball team sat down wi ...

University of Miami standout Shakima Wimbley is headed to the 2017 IAAF World Championships in Londo ...