Annual UM student and faculty exhibition at the Lowe gets attendees thinking

Valeria Rocchiccioli sitting in her sculpture "Bug in the Chlorophyll Shower".  Juror's Best in Show "Bug in Chlorophyll Shower".  ELIZABETH POTI//HURRICANE STAFF

Valeria Rocchiccioli sitting in her sculpture "Bug in the Chlorophyll Shower". Juror's Best in Show "Bug in Chlorophyll Shower". ELIZABETH POTI//HURRICANE STAFF

For photographer Carsten Meier and many student artists, this past Friday was an excellent evening at the Lowe Museum’s student art exhibit and preview.

Meier, a UM assistant professor and experienced photographer, delivered a thought-provoking lecture to debut his exhibit “Naturell” to the Lowe and to the many art lovers in attendance. An awards ceremony honoring the outstanding artists on exhibit followed. Attendees were also allowed a walk-through of the exposition.

“Spooky things happen in nature,” Meier said when asked why his photography took a turn for the narrative. His work, combining collage, assemblage and nature, seeks to create his own reality through digital editing.

“Meier’s work focuses on the individual’s perception of nature and how the act of seeing a photograph establishes a transitory thread between the viewer and the environment depicted,” said Elizabeth Amore, the media contact at the Lowe Museum.

“We are moving on as photographers into storytellers,” Meier said. He said that his work was only an attempt to make nature more beautiful.

Later, awards were presented to students who demonstrated exemplary performance in different areas of their art study. The viewers were then allowed to roam freely through the exhibit and chat with the artists about their work.

“It was just a fun experiment that turned out to be really cool,” said Hamad Almousa, a student whose piece “Look Into My World” merited the Dr. Marion F. Jefferson Award. “It allowed me to use mirrors in ways we don’t usually use them.”

If You Go

What: UM Student/Carsten Meier exhibit

When: April 18 – June 14, 2009

Where: Lowe Art Museum

and

What: Master of Fine Arts Exhibition

When: May 14 – June 14, 2009

Where: Lowe Art Museum

For more information, visit the Lowe online at www.lowemuseum.org for a full calendar of upcoming events.

Nicolette Roque

Assistant News Editor

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...

Three Miami women's tennis players are featured in this week's Oracle/ITA rankings, along ...

Riding a five-game road winning streak, the Miami women's basketball team will look to make it ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...