Tennis

Demon Deacons exact revenge on Miami, knock them from ACC championship

No. 20 and third-seeded Wake Forest got its revenge against No. 25 and second-seeded Miami with a 4-2 win in the semifinals of the 2009 Atlantic Coast Conference Championships Saturday afternoon in Cary, N.C.

Back on April 5, the Hurricanes beat the host Demon Deacons (20-8) 4-3 with a crucial singles point from freshman Ignacio Taboada.

After winning in doubles, Wake Forest took three-set wins in the first, second and sixth positions to reach the conference final.

Taboada nabbed his sixth victory in a row, while sophomore Keith Crowley picked up his seventh consecutive to notch Miami’s two points. Both earned their team-leading 22nd victory of the season.

“Wake Forest outplayed us in doubles today. We got back in the match winning first sets on four courts, and were up breaks in a couple of third sets,” head coach Mario Rincon said. “We had chances to win the match, but we didn’t win a few key games down the stretch.”

Miami (14-8) now waits and will find out its fate when the NCAA Tennis Selection Show airs on ESPNEWS April 28 at around 5:20 p.m. The Hurricanes have competed in the NCAA Tournament for the last three seasons, including a trip to the Round of 16 in 2006.

“We are looking forward to NCAA Regionals and will begin getting ready as soon as we get back to Coral Gables” Rincon said.

Singles
1. #12 Cory Parr (WF) def. #13 Daniel Vallverdu (UM) 6-7, 6-1, 6-2
2. Steve Forman (WF) def. David Rosenfeld (UM) 6-4, 1-6, 6-3
3. #113 Carl Sundberg (UM) vs. Jonathan Wolff (WF) unfinished
4. Keith Crowley (UM) def. David Hopkins (WF) 6-3, 6-0
5. Ignacio Taboada (UM) def. Iain Atkinson (WF) 6-3, 6-3
6. Jason Morgenstern (WF) def. David Simon (UM) 1-6, 6-4, 6-3

Doubles
1. #11 Cory Parr/Steve Forman (WF) def. #50 Daniel Vallverdu/David Rosenfeld (UM) 8-0
2. Iain Atkinson/Carlos Salmon (WF) def. David Simon/Christian Blocker (UM) 8-4
3. Jonathan Wolff/David Hopkins (WF) vs. Keith Crowley/Carl Sundberg (UM) unfinished

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...