Sports Briefs

TRACK/FIELD

The University of Miami women’s track and field team took fifth, while the men finished ninth, at the ACC Outdoor Track and Field Championships at Cobb Stadium this past weekend.

Senior Murielle Ahoure won both the 100 and 200-meter dashes and junior Kristy Whyte crossed the line third in the 100 meters. Junior Deandra Doyley nabbed second in the long jump and fourth in the triple jump. Sophomore Tameka Jameson earned a regional qualifying time with a fourth-place finish in the 400-meter hurdles.

Junior Cory Nelms was runner up in the 110-meter hurdles for the men.

MEN’S BASKETBALL

University of Miami signee Durand Scott, a 6’5″ shooting guard from New York City, scored six points with two assists for the Black team as it won 110-103 at the 2009 Jordan Brand Classic High School Boys All-Star Game Saturday night at Madison Square Garden.

WOMEN’S BASKETBALL

Sophomore forward Shenise Johnson was invited to the USA Basketball Complex in Colorado Springs, Colo., to participate in the U-19 USA National Team Trials, May 14-17. The U-19 National Team will be participating in this year’s FIBA World Championship, held in Bangkok, Thailand, July 23-Aug. 2.

Johnson was named to the ACC All-Freshman Team and was an honorable mention for the All-ACC Team. She was the team leader in scoring (12.8 ppg), free throw percentage (.825), rebounding (7.1 rpg), assists (4.1 apg), steals (2.7 spg) and blocks (1.0 bpg) last season.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Michael Rumph, former Cane cornerback and current cornerbacks coach, has mentioned, along with every ...

N’Kosi Perry, definitely on the quiet side, met the media for the first time on Monday. He’s the Mia ...

On a day in which University of Miami football coach Mark Richt said veteran quarterbacks Malik Rosi ...

Researchers use a powerful technique known as Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar to show an in ...

UM’s First Star Academy supports foster care youth. ...