Honor society Alpha Lambda Delta initiates record number of students

ald-color2

The Alpha Lambda Delta Honor Society, an honor society that recognizes high-achieving freshmen at the University of Miami, inducted a chapter-record 417 freshmen on March 31.

“When the program first came to Miami it was not nearly as active as it is now,” said Dayle Wilson, assistant dean of students and the chapter advisor. “But over the years, we’ve progressively gotten more involved in the university and membership increases more and more by the year.”

Alpha Lambda Delta, which celebrates its 85th anniversary in 2009, has strict requirements for membership. Freshman must have a 3.5 grade point average or better and maintain that average throughout their college years in order to retain membership.

Despite the firm requirements, most students who are initiated into the organization as freshmen remain part of the honor society throughout their college careers.

“With such requirements, you’re going to see some drop out, but generally students maintain the GPA throughout all of college,” Wilson said. “Students who work at a level this high are greatly motivated and want to be part of this group. That is what the organization is all about.”

Members of the organization are inducted as freshman and become more involved as sophomores participating in organizational activities. Juniors have scholarship opportunities, while seniors with the highest GPA are recognized at the end of the year.

Daniela Martinez, a sophomore and the president of Alpha Lambda Delta, has worked to increase membership in the organization.

“We did a lot this past year to increase awareness of the organization,” Martinez said. “We went to Canefest, distributed pamphlets at the residence halls and designed new shirts to get our name out there and attract freshmen.”

Like most student organizations around campus, Alpha Lambda Delta partakes in various community service activities and social events.

“We have regular meetings, do quite a bit of community service and have social events for members throughout the year,” Martinez said. “This past year alone we supported two children at a school in Guatemala and distributed Christmas cards for those in need around the holidays.”

Mike Pindelski

University of Miami football coach Mark Richt made it clearer than ever on Wednesday: Come the Sept. ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced the 2018-19 schedule, featuring nine tourn ...