Tennis

Canes fall in third-set tie-breaker, lose 4-3 in ACC final

Despite its No. 3 ranking in the country, the Duke Blue Devils came into Sunday’s ACC Championships in Cary, N.C., as the second seed after losing to No. 6 Miami 5-2 on March 22 at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

It was the girls from Durham, N.C., however, who got the last laugh in a five-hour 4-3 victory to snap the Hurricanes’ 12-match winning streak, which dated back to March 7 when UM lost at Georgia Tech.

Sophomore Bianca Eichkorn, ranked No. 30, dropped a three-set tie-breaker, 2-6, 6-4, 7-6 (7-5), to No. 39 Reka Zsilinszka in the third position for the deciding point. The loss put an end to Eichkorn’s 11 consecutive singles wins.

Fourth-ranked sophomore Julia Cohen lost to No. 16 Mallory Cecil in straight sets, 6-4, 6-1, suffering her first loss in 16 matches. Junior Laura Vallverdu, on the other hand, won her ninth in a row, while sophomore Michaela Kissell won her 13th straight match.

The Blue Devils (23-3) took the all-important doubles point for an early 1-0 lead by upsetting both of Miami’s ranked doubles team.

Miami (23-4) will now prepare for the NCAA regionals which take place May 8-10. The Canes have hosted a regional every year since 2005, and hope to do so this year when the tournament pairings are announced April 28.

INFO BOX

Singles competition
1. #16 Mallory Cecil (DU) def. #4 Julia Cohen (UM) 6-4, 6-1
2. #25 Laura Vallverdu (UM) def. #33 Ellah Nze (DU) 6-2, 6-2
3. #39 Reka Zsilinszka (DU) def. #30 Bianca Eichkorn (UM) 2-6, 6-4, 7-6 (7-5)
4. #50 Michaela Kissell (UM) def. #74 Amanda Granson (DU) 6-2, 6-0
5. #115 Melissa Mang (DU) def. Gabriela Mejia (UM) 6-1, 7-5
6. Claudia Wasilewski (UM) def. Jessi Robinson (DU) 7-6, 0-6, 6-3

Doubles competition
1. #16 Granson/Mang (DU) def. #13 Kissell/Vallverdu (UM) 8-6
2. #73 Cecil/Robinson (DU) def. #52 Cohen/Eichkorn (UM) 8-5
3. Mejia/Wasilewski (UM) vs. Ellah Nze/Zsilinszka (DU) unfinished

Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (4,2,5,1,6,3)

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Daniela Deu was drawn to both architecture and urbanism, believes architecture can change communitie ...

Canes Basketball player development assistant will graduate with MSED in Sport Administation. ...

UOnline graduate will earn his M.S. in Health Informatics ...

Seeking a college experience within a diverse community, this graduate found her home away from home ...

Two Hurricanes receive AVCA All-America recognition for first time since 2014. ...

Coming off its first top-25 victory of the year, the Miami women's basketball team will play it ...