Tennis

Canes fall in third-set tie-breaker, lose 4-3 in ACC final

Despite its No. 3 ranking in the country, the Duke Blue Devils came into Sunday’s ACC Championships in Cary, N.C., as the second seed after losing to No. 6 Miami 5-2 on March 22 at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

It was the girls from Durham, N.C., however, who got the last laugh in a five-hour 4-3 victory to snap the Hurricanes’ 12-match winning streak, which dated back to March 7 when UM lost at Georgia Tech.

Sophomore Bianca Eichkorn, ranked No. 30, dropped a three-set tie-breaker, 2-6, 6-4, 7-6 (7-5), to No. 39 Reka Zsilinszka in the third position for the deciding point. The loss put an end to Eichkorn’s 11 consecutive singles wins.

Fourth-ranked sophomore Julia Cohen lost to No. 16 Mallory Cecil in straight sets, 6-4, 6-1, suffering her first loss in 16 matches. Junior Laura Vallverdu, on the other hand, won her ninth in a row, while sophomore Michaela Kissell won her 13th straight match.

The Blue Devils (23-3) took the all-important doubles point for an early 1-0 lead by upsetting both of Miami’s ranked doubles team.

Miami (23-4) will now prepare for the NCAA regionals which take place May 8-10. The Canes have hosted a regional every year since 2005, and hope to do so this year when the tournament pairings are announced April 28.

INFO BOX

Singles competition
1. #16 Mallory Cecil (DU) def. #4 Julia Cohen (UM) 6-4, 6-1
2. #25 Laura Vallverdu (UM) def. #33 Ellah Nze (DU) 6-2, 6-2
3. #39 Reka Zsilinszka (DU) def. #30 Bianca Eichkorn (UM) 2-6, 6-4, 7-6 (7-5)
4. #50 Michaela Kissell (UM) def. #74 Amanda Granson (DU) 6-2, 6-0
5. #115 Melissa Mang (DU) def. Gabriela Mejia (UM) 6-1, 7-5
6. Claudia Wasilewski (UM) def. Jessi Robinson (DU) 7-6, 0-6, 6-3

Doubles competition
1. #16 Granson/Mang (DU) def. #13 Kissell/Vallverdu (UM) 8-6
2. #73 Cecil/Robinson (DU) def. #52 Cohen/Eichkorn (UM) 8-5
3. Mejia/Wasilewski (UM) vs. Ellah Nze/Zsilinszka (DU) unfinished

Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (4,2,5,1,6,3)

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...