Tennis

Canes fall 4-2 to Demon Deacons, await NCAA selection

After the No. 25 men’s tennis beat host Wake Forest 4-3 on April 5, the 20th-ranked Demon Deacons got their payback with a 4-2 victory Saturday afternoon in the semifinals at the 2009 ACC Championship at Cary Tennis Park in Cary, N.C.

Third-seeded Wake Forest (20-8) jumped off to an early lead by taking the doubles point and grabbed wins in the first, second and sixth positions to clinch a spot in the final against top-ranked Virginia (28-0).

Sophomore Keith Crowley and freshman Ignacio Taboada each picked up a singles win for their team-leading 22nd of the season. Crowley has now won seven straight matches, while Taboada has won six in a row.

“Wake Forest outplayed us in doubles today. We got back in the match winning first sets on four courts, and were up breaks in a couple of third sets,” head coach Mario Rincon said. “We had chances to win the match, but we didn’t win a few key games down the stretch.

Miami (14-8) had won six straight matches before the loss and now awaits the NCAA Tennis Selection Show which will be broadcast on ESPNEWS April 28. The Hurricanes have competed in the NCAA Tournament for the last three straight seasons, including a trip to the Round of 16 in 2006.

“We are looking forward to NCAA Regionals and will begin getting ready as soon as we get back to Coral Gables,” Rincon said.

INFO BOX

Singles
1. #12 Cory Parr (WF) def. #13 Daniel Vallverdu (UM) 6-7, 6-1, 6-2
2. Steve Forman (WF) def. David Rosenfeld (UM) 6-4, 1-6, 6-3
3. #113 Carl Sundberg (UM) vs. Jonathan Wolff (WF) unfinished
4. Keith Crowley (UM) def. David Hopkins (WF) 6-3, 6-0
5. Ignacio Taboada (UM) def. Iain Atkinson (WF) 6-3, 6-3
6. Jason Morgenstern (WF) def. David Simon (UM) 1-6, 6-4, 6-3

Doubles
1. #11 Cory Parr/Steve Forman (WF) def. #50 Daniel Vallverdu/David Rosenfeld (UM) 8-0
2. Iain Atkinson/Carlos Salmon (WF) def. David Simon/Christian Blocker (UM) 8-4
3. Jonathan Wolff/David Hopkins (WF) vs. Keith Crowley/Carl Sundberg (UM) unfinished

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...