Tennis

Canes fall 4-2 to Demon Deacons, await NCAA selection

After the No. 25 men’s tennis beat host Wake Forest 4-3 on April 5, the 20th-ranked Demon Deacons got their payback with a 4-2 victory Saturday afternoon in the semifinals at the 2009 ACC Championship at Cary Tennis Park in Cary, N.C.

Third-seeded Wake Forest (20-8) jumped off to an early lead by taking the doubles point and grabbed wins in the first, second and sixth positions to clinch a spot in the final against top-ranked Virginia (28-0).

Sophomore Keith Crowley and freshman Ignacio Taboada each picked up a singles win for their team-leading 22nd of the season. Crowley has now won seven straight matches, while Taboada has won six in a row.

“Wake Forest outplayed us in doubles today. We got back in the match winning first sets on four courts, and were up breaks in a couple of third sets,” head coach Mario Rincon said. “We had chances to win the match, but we didn’t win a few key games down the stretch.

Miami (14-8) had won six straight matches before the loss and now awaits the NCAA Tennis Selection Show which will be broadcast on ESPNEWS April 28. The Hurricanes have competed in the NCAA Tournament for the last three straight seasons, including a trip to the Round of 16 in 2006.

“We are looking forward to NCAA Regionals and will begin getting ready as soon as we get back to Coral Gables,” Rincon said.

INFO BOX

Singles
1. #12 Cory Parr (WF) def. #13 Daniel Vallverdu (UM) 6-7, 6-1, 6-2
2. Steve Forman (WF) def. David Rosenfeld (UM) 6-4, 1-6, 6-3
3. #113 Carl Sundberg (UM) vs. Jonathan Wolff (WF) unfinished
4. Keith Crowley (UM) def. David Hopkins (WF) 6-3, 6-0
5. Ignacio Taboada (UM) def. Iain Atkinson (WF) 6-3, 6-3
6. Jason Morgenstern (WF) def. David Simon (UM) 1-6, 6-4, 6-3

Doubles
1. #11 Cory Parr/Steve Forman (WF) def. #50 Daniel Vallverdu/David Rosenfeld (UM) 8-0
2. Iain Atkinson/Carlos Salmon (WF) def. David Simon/Christian Blocker (UM) 8-4
3. Jonathan Wolff/David Hopkins (WF) vs. Keith Crowley/Carl Sundberg (UM) unfinished

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

The unopened Christmas gift that University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz recently spoke ...

The University of Miami is in conversations about playing the University of Alabama to kick off the ...