Tennis

Women’s tennis earns five ACC honors

Paige Yaroshuk-Tews was named 2009 ACC Women’s Tennis Coach of the Year, while four singles players – junior Laura Vallverdu and sophomores Julia Cohen, Bianca Eickorn and Michaela Kissell – collected All-ACC honors.

The four All-ACC recipients are the most from any team, followed by Georgia Tech and Duke’s three apiece.

Yaroshuk-Tews led the Hurricanes to a 21-3 record overall (10-1 ACC) for her first Coach of the Year honor. She is the all-time winningest women’s tennis coach at Miami with 156 total victories.

Vallverdu (No. 25) made it to the All-ACC team for the third consecutive year. Cohen is ranked as the fourth-best singles player in the nation and went a perfect 11-0 in ACC play. Both Eichkorn (No. 30) and Kissell (No. 50) have strung together 10 straight victories in singles play for over 30 wins on the season.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

The unopened Christmas gift that University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz recently spoke ...

The University of Miami is in conversations about playing the University of Alabama to kick off the ...