Frost songwriting ensemble performs at Books & Books

folku3tt

TANYA THOMPSON // Assistant Photo Editor

The Frost School of Music songwriting ensemble performed at Books & Books in Coral Gables Wednesday night. The class, listed as MSJ 139 and taught by Professor Rey Sanchez, was based around early American folk music such as country and bluegrass. Nine student songwriters and two accompanying student musicians performed cover songs and original tunes inspired by those studied in class.

Alessandrea Levy, a sophomore majoring in jazz vocal performance, played bass for the ensemble. She said, “It’s fun for me because I’m learning how to write in different styles.”

Arielle Galante, a junior majoring in harp performance, translated what she learned to her instrument on her original hillbilly-style song called “Burn Them in the Bathroom Sink.” “I tried to imitate a banjo on the harp,” she said, with “fast licks with my right and in between the boom-chk boom-chk in the left hand.”

Hilary Saunders

Senior EDGE Writer

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...