Cane Records hosts release party for Kyle Crossland

Recording artisy Kyle Crossland will release his self-titled first album on Cane Records Friday night at the MAC building Friday night beginning at 8:30 p.m.

Booze, bites, and bouncy pop-rock tunes will fill the MAC Building this Friday night as Cane Records throws a release party for their newest recording artist, Kyle Crossland. The event, held at 5960 SW 57th Ave., across from the University Village, will start at 8:30 p.m.

Much more than a little jam, the massive party will have free food and drinks, free hair, makeup and face-painting from the Hi-Tech School of Cosmetology (a Paul Mitchell partner school), and art on display from students at the Art Institute. Of course, Crossland will perform songs from his eponymous debut EP and sign copies for anyone who purchases a disc. Additionally, Bridget & Luke and DJ Ordep of WVUM will each play a set.

Cane Records, the student-run record label of the University of Miami, signed Crossland in the middle of the fall 2008 semester.

“It happened overnight,” said Jessie Allen, the president of Cane Records.

Allen, a junior majoring in music business, explained the process of creating Crossland’s EP as well as the role of the record company.

“It took about a month to record, produce, and do the whole EP,” she said. Cane Records not only supervised those aspects, but also managed the distribution of albums, marketing tactics, merchandizing and creation of a Web site.

Crossland, a junior studying music business and classical vocal performance, has been singing for as long as he can remember.

“I found my dad’s guitar in high school and started writing songs,” he said.

Allen described Crossland’s sound as “a weird little fusion of heavier beach-rock-jam-happy music.”

Inspired by the Beach Boys, Nick Drake, Donavon Frankenreiter, and various jam bands, Crossland wrote all of the songs on his EP in UM dorms.

“The song ‘Irony’ was written under the bridge between the towers,” he laughed.

As the release party draws nearer, Crossland said he’s feeling “a worried kind of stoked.”

“I’m really excited to see how things come together and I wanna put on a good show,” he said.

If You Go

Who: Kyle Crossland

What: Cane Records Release Party

When: Friday, April 17 at 8:30 p.m.

Where: MAC Building located at 5960 SW 57th Ave.

Cost: Free

Hilary Saunders

Senior EDGE Writer

Welcome to Bulletin Board Material, the Miami Herald’s weekday roundup covering everything in the So ...

RJ McIntosh grew up loving the University of Miami. So did Mark Walton. After all, both are from Sou ...

They have made their lists and checked them (at least) twice. And now, the final NFL draft boards fr ...

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

University of Miami graduates will hear from a group of extraordinary leaders during this year’s com ...

Cross-curricular performances by Frost School of Music students and faculty increase community aware ...

High-tech space helmet technology, a lifelike infant simulator and 3D printing are featured at the U ...

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and NOAA have worked together for more than ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

After a double-bye, the fourth-seeded and No. 15-ranked Miami women's tennis team begins ACC Ch ...

The Hurricanes will compete in the 54-hole Austin Regional at the University of Texas Golf Club from ...

The Hurricanes are headed to Fayetteville, Ark., to compete at the inaugural National Relay Champion ...

For the final time in his storied career, Miami head coach Jim Morris and his Hurricanes will make t ...

The Hurricanes fell behind in the middle innings and could not recover Wednesday, dropping a midweek ...