Cane Records hosts release party for Kyle Crossland

Recording artisy Kyle Crossland will release his self-titled first album on Cane Records Friday night at the MAC building Friday night beginning at 8:30 p.m.

Booze, bites, and bouncy pop-rock tunes will fill the MAC Building this Friday night as Cane Records throws a release party for their newest recording artist, Kyle Crossland. The event, held at 5960 SW 57th Ave., across from the University Village, will start at 8:30 p.m.

Much more than a little jam, the massive party will have free food and drinks, free hair, makeup and face-painting from the Hi-Tech School of Cosmetology (a Paul Mitchell partner school), and art on display from students at the Art Institute. Of course, Crossland will perform songs from his eponymous debut EP and sign copies for anyone who purchases a disc. Additionally, Bridget & Luke and DJ Ordep of WVUM will each play a set.

Cane Records, the student-run record label of the University of Miami, signed Crossland in the middle of the fall 2008 semester.

“It happened overnight,” said Jessie Allen, the president of Cane Records.

Allen, a junior majoring in music business, explained the process of creating Crossland’s EP as well as the role of the record company.

“It took about a month to record, produce, and do the whole EP,” she said. Cane Records not only supervised those aspects, but also managed the distribution of albums, marketing tactics, merchandizing and creation of a Web site.

Crossland, a junior studying music business and classical vocal performance, has been singing for as long as he can remember.

“I found my dad’s guitar in high school and started writing songs,” he said.

Allen described Crossland’s sound as “a weird little fusion of heavier beach-rock-jam-happy music.”

Inspired by the Beach Boys, Nick Drake, Donavon Frankenreiter, and various jam bands, Crossland wrote all of the songs on his EP in UM dorms.

“The song ‘Irony’ was written under the bridge between the towers,” he laughed.

As the release party draws nearer, Crossland said he’s feeling “a worried kind of stoked.”

“I’m really excited to see how things come together and I wanna put on a good show,” he said.

If You Go

Who: Kyle Crossland

What: Cane Records Release Party

When: Friday, April 17 at 8:30 p.m.

Where: MAC Building located at 5960 SW 57th Ave.

Cost: Free

Hilary Saunders

Senior EDGE Writer

The first University of Miami player to wear the coveted turnover chain will no longer play football ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...

Highlighted by a thrilling, three-set, top-five win by sophomore Estela Perez-Somarriba, the Miami w ...

The Canes won four events against FGCU on Saturday while also recording a total of 11 top-three fini ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...